Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceyg_gw

candle wicks advice please

traceyg
17 years ago

i am just starting out candle making, and bought my first kit but i haven't got a clue what wicks to buy or what moulds to buy, any advise you could give me on starting up would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tracey g

Comments (2)

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

Hi, Tracey. First, what sort of "kit" did you buy that had no info regarding wicks or molds? Sounds incomplete to me. That said, there are on-line tutorials. Candlewik.com is one. They're located in PA and are very prompt about answering questions. If you are using gel wax, you will want to use a zinc core wick with a long neck clip on the bottom. The long neck keeps the wick from burning down to the glass container and perhaps causing it to break.
    Other waxes use other types of wicks. Also, a lot of candles are not made in molds but are in containers.
    If your craft store doesn't carry books on candle making, do go to your library. They have tons of craft books. Just try to get one that's been published in the past couple of years so there will be info on the newest products and techniques.
    My own personal tips: NEVER try to melt candle wax in the microwave no matter what the label says. Also, never melt the wax directly over the heat source. ALWAYS use the double boiler method. That is, put the wax in one pot then place THAT pot in another pot that has water in it. As the water heats, it will cause the wax to melt in the inner pot. ALWAYS use a wax thermometer. The last thing you need is a pot of flaming wax. Which is why I always have a BIG open box of baking soda on the counter when I'm making candles. So far, I've never had to use it, but one never knows.....
    So - read up on candle making, check out the web sites. The more you learn, the more you'll want to know - and make!
    cora

• jasmineflower
    16 years ago

I've done a little experimenting with candle-making. I like to use tiny decorative cast iron or aluminum muffin, tart, crepe, and/ jello holders for molds. I find these old items at flea markets, garage sales, and antique shops. They are usually very inexpensive. Some of the older half-dozen muffin tins are really unique with their carvings. I've used really tiny jello molds shaped as stars and hearts, but they burn for just a short period of time. They look stunning when floated in colored water...They are nice for Independence Day and Valentines, too. I have had good luck using broken chop sticks to hold up the wicks when pouring the wax into the molding containers. I wrap the tip of the wick over the stick and center it over the middle of the mold. The freezer works great at releasing the finished candle from its container. Have you ever taken old candles and melted them to create new ones? Sometimes they contain one color throughout. They are very economical too. Decoupaging pressed flowers and things such as pearls and sequins work great for finishing touches. I created my daughter's wedding candles...I carved designs and placed sequins on them. I then wrapped sparkled ribbons around the base. Just make sure the candles are drippless. I hope you like the craft! jasmineflower

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County