Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

Wanted-Garden Label Ideas

galium
17 years ago

I want to make some garden labels this year. I'm really tired of the metal ones. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mariann

Comments (13)

• deweymn
    17 years ago

I'm always trying to mark where I plant things or what I have planted in what containers. Best I have found for my bad memory is a good permanent marker and slats from vinyl mini blinds. You can make small or large or staple the seed packet to them.

Also, I found a bunch of pic frames and inserted the seed packet in them, used clear caulk or glue to seal the glass to the frame and keep out moisture. If the back isn't painted, just spray paint it with paint or laquer.

• galium
    Original Author
    17 years ago

the picture frame idea sounds good. I might just try a few. thanks deweymn

• yankeedoodleangle
    17 years ago

I have always found using plastic throw away butter dish lids work, or any plastic lid. If they are small use them as they are, but if they are big ones, you can cut them into shapes; like butterflies, dragonflies, bees, birds. Then I take heavy duty wire clothes hanges and cut lengths long enough to insert in to the ground and the plastic. Punch two small holes into the plastic where you want the wire to go. Like one hole over the other. Insert the wire, write your names on the plastic with permanent sharpie pen and insert in ground. This way you are recycling and decorating your yard at the same time. Have Fun! My grand children even help color them, then I write the names in black.

• cs7580
    17 years ago

I'm going to get some childs sand shovel and thin paint the name of the plant on the shovel and put the handel in the dirt.

• jpc57
    17 years ago

I recently saw some plant markers in a garden crafts mag...I'll check which one later and post back. The ones that I saw and will attempt to make are made with mortar mix, and if you can't find a 4 inch round mold, you can use a tuna or canned chicken breast can. Use copper wire to make the holder for the seed package, coiling the wire a few times to hold the pack. You can decorate the stone with marbles, shells, glass beads/discs, whatever you'd like. I may make some and simply scratch the name of the plant into the mortar mix, or may use some foam stencils to imprint a dragonly fly, ladybug, etc. and then stencil the plant name. I'll post photos if anything turns out!

Julie

• galium
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good ideas.

I'm making some markers with terra cotta pots and dowels. I'll post a picture soon. Someone on the GW gave me this idea.

My daughter suggested I use acrylic and cut it into shapes. I'm going to Lowe's today and buy a sheet.

Mariann

• jpc57
    17 years ago

How would you cut the acrylic? In what area of Lowe's would it be found? That sounds interesting!

• galium
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Julie,
    I bought a piece of acrylic today. It's about 12" x 12" and cost a little over $1. They have acrylic cutters for about $3.00. The problem, from what the salesman said, is that it's difficult to cut anything but squares and rectangles. I want to make hexagons thats why I just bought a small piece to play with. Then you cut strips of acrylic and glue them on the back to make stakes. It'll have to be some sort of waterproof epoxy. Haven't gotten that far yet. After I write on them I'm going to seal them with a clear acrylic glossy sealer. I might even paint some flowers on them with outdoor acrylic craft paint.

When you go to Lowe's just ask someone where the pieces of clear acrylic are. They knew right away what I was looking for.

Let me know how you make out.
    Mariann

• jpc57
    17 years ago

Thanks Mariann. We live 26 miles from Lowe's and Home Depot, but I'll probably get there this weekend. I'm making a list of supplies for the various projects that I want to do!

For the hexagons, could you cut out squares and then cut a triangle off each corner? When I first started quilting years ago and didn't have a hexagon pattern, that's what I did to get that shape. Post some pics of your project if you can, always great to get ideas!

Julie

• galium
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Julie-You are clever....... I didn't think of cutting squares first. I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
    Mariann

• jpc57
    17 years ago

Thanks Mariann. But it is so nice to read the posts on sites like this and get so many wonderful ideas, and learn so many tips. I'm happy to share a tip! This is an awesome resource. I hope today to check out the garden junk topic, too.

Julie

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

old mini blinds cut with a pointed end ... write on with a permanent marker
    flat rocks ... use permanent marker or paint to add name of plant
    small clay flowerpots ... use marker or paint
    an old button maker ... cut seed packet to fit and place inside
    old cutlery ... use marker to add name of plant
    plastic cutlery ... use marker to add name of plant
    seed packet ... fasten to small stake, put jar over top to cover (not always good when it is windy)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor