Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with old shutters

Posted by rwtwtch nh z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 04 at 16:37

I have alot of old painted shutters that I have been saving I need to do something with them...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with old shutters

I'd gladly take them off your hands, lol. I have seen them used in many different ways. With a couple of hinges, they can be attached to make a screen. Or they can be simply hung on a fence, wall, etc. to add interest. Just leaning behind a grouping of planters also looks nice. Shapes can be cut out using a jigsaw. I especially like star and moon cut-outs. I have seen an old mirror hung on a fence with shutters on each side. That looks real cute and is something i'd like to do on my fence. If they are "old-looking", they would be nice added to a grouping of antiques such as watering cans, wash tubs, or wooden boxes.

o

I have seen them hinged together so you have four sides-and a big square-then attached top and bottom to planks of wood, painted, voila, table. You could add little sheves inside if you let the part with the hinge open and make it into a CD holder, if you do a search on HGTV Decorating Cents I think there are instructions. You could make them into so many things, planters, framing an old window on either side as a decoration, tables-cut two to make the side supports, use L brakets to attach a long one for the top, and add a piece of plexi or glass on top with those little bumper things. Have fun.

o

Does anyone know if there are any old shutters sites to look at? I have alot of shutters, and dont know what to do with them.

o

Old shutters are wonderful in the garden. Last summer i hinged together 4 shutters and used them as a back drop for a garden to cover up my ugly oil tank. I hung some wrought iron candle holders on them (from the buck store) and they looked wonderful on summer evenings when i lit the candles. I also placed an old ladder back chair with the seat out of it and a planter in it in front of it for a little more stability. I also have one with no centre flaps in it and am going to put dowels in every other hole and hang a quilt on it or use it for a magazine rack.

o

Here is a great little shelf on ebay that is custom made.

Here is a link that might be useful: shutter shelf

o

I have a picture that I would share what
I have done with mine. But I don't know how to post pictures here.I have painted on mine, a snowman.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket oh i did it yahooooooooooooooo

o

Here's a site that has some neat ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: shutter ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here