Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Cone Crafts

Posted by flowerbrackob z4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 19:24

How can I dry out pine cones that got wet and thus closed up?
I was thinkin' in the oven on low, low, warm???????
They were beautiful, it snowed and now ugly!
Big Ones Too at that.
AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the words of the Beatles: "Help, I Need Somebody"...........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Cone Crafts

Hi, Drying pine cones is very simple. Set oven to 200 degrees. Line baking pan (or pans) with aluminum foil (so you don't ruin your pan with sap) and place pine cones in a single layer in the pans. Bake for 2 to 3 hours. All the moisture will be gone and your pine cones will stay open forever. Have fun. Donna

o

• Posted by galcho z8 Northwest (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 17:24

Donna,
how to seal them so they don't close when they are wet?
I have nice cones and want to glue them to a old oval oven pot, could be a nice container.
But i am new to crafts, so don't know what glue to use to glue them and what to use to protect them from elements.
thanks

o

Hi, Here is a website that may be helpful. You might find other information on working with your pine cones if you search for info. on the Internet. I'm sure a hot glue gun would work. Although I have not ever glued pine cones to a ceramic pot, I have seen dried pine cones hot-glued to Christmas wreaths, etc.
http://www.wikihow.com/Preserve-Pinecones
Donna

o

Hi, I just found another site that looks very interesting and has other information . . . gotta love the Internet . . . Donna

http://pineconelady.com/

o

• Posted by galcho z8 Northwest (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 11:22

Thank you, Donna.
I like the Internet and even more i like to meet people who like to share information.

o

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the million or so pine cones I have collected over the years that are just sitting in my attic! Have a good day! :)

o

Make a wreath .Its like a wood wreath it lsts for years and theyre beautiful.I use a wire wreath form.Wire the pinecones on .The wire slips in between the little petal like thingys.what are they called anyway?You wire a bunch on usually larger ones first.Then start filling in with smaller ones till its full.You want wire tight as you can get it.

o

A couple of years ago, I made Christmas Trees out of pine cones that fell from our Christmas trees!!!!!! I bought strofoam cones (the green ones that taper up from the bottom) and then glued the pine cones to them with a glue gun. Then we decorated them with those little balls of different colors, some with sparkle in them, arranged some plastic holly on some, put tiny bells on some others, and just kind of used our imagination. We then glued them to a clear plate a little larger than the base of the "tree". I gave all of them and forgot to save one for myself, so this year, the Christmas tree outdoors is really loaded, so I'm going to make a few more. Does anyone know where you can purchase a foam wreath form with mirror insert?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here