Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to build or get custom fire pit please

Posted by mikehende NY (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 17:01

The laws here in NY have changed recently, we can't have open flame fire outdoors anymore due to flying sparks causing too many fires so all of my firewood is just lying there doing nothing. We would always use firewood on the weekend to cook. I was wondering if there is something I could possibly rig up which might work? I looked at fire or copper pits online, 3 main problems, if using for cooking purposes, whenever you need to add firewood you would have to remove the screen, the pot then the grill which the pot is resting on, too much hassle. Then there is the problem of the wire mesh screen not being tall enough to cover a high pot like a soup pot.

So I need to burn firewood for cooking purposes but can't have sparks escaping, what options are there or can I build something myself? Will appreciate any advice/leads.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to build or get custom fire pit please

At the store I work in, we sell some above-ground fire pits during summer. They're really just big metal kettle-shaped structures, some that have a grill that fits on them, and all with a wire-mesh dome for spark capture.

It seems to me that'd it be fairly easy to convert say a burn barrel or other large metal thing into a fire pit, with the inclusion of a door either hinged or sliding to feed wood into, on the sides. And the dome would be simple hardware cloth, bent to shape.

As for aesthetics, that I leave to your imagination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here