Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirldeb2

Beach Pebbles

FlowergirlDeb2
20 years ago

Hi! I have come here before though am not a regular on the forum. I was hoping that I could have some opinions on what I can use for adhesive for beach pebbles? I gather TONS of rocks and pebbles from the beach, and I would like to make a flower pot bird bath using them. Has anyone else tried using pebbles? I literally have thousands...YES, I hoard.:) But I have a thing for rocks, they are used all over my yard in gardens and for lanscaping. Any advice and suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Comments (11)

• handmayyd
    20 years ago

You might check on the Garden Junk forum too - they have all kinds of great ideas. The Hypertufa folks might help too. Are you thinking about mosaic or using the pebbles to make stepping stones? :>karenb

• SunflowerBren
    20 years ago

Hello
    There is a wonderful book titled Making Bits and Peices Mosaics that would be very helpful to you with using your pebbles and rocks. It shows how to make birdbaths, bowls, mailboxes and assorted gardening and household items from crockery, rocks, shells and broken pottery peices. I
    have the book and have made stepping stones and tables out of broken china and tiles. It has great ideas and tells exactly how to go about it. Check out your local Barnes and Noble or Books A Million or any Bookstores, I am sure you will find a book on the subject. Please check out my webpage below and see my Bowling Ball that I have made into a Gardening Sphere.
    Good Luck, Bren

Here is a link that might be useful: MY GARDEN

• SthrnTami
    20 years ago

You could use Liquid Nails or Thinset mortar mix.

• ianna
    20 years ago

Tons of things you can do with stones. For instance as mulch or as patio. Check the garden accoutrement forum. Also check the www.bbc.co.uk for their garden ideas.

Ianna

• joelke
    20 years ago

Glue them on with GE Silicone II clear adhesive for outdoor use.

• Judeth
    20 years ago

I don't know what kind of glue my daughter used, but she bought a oval mirror. She cut a piece of plywood a good 3-4 inches larger then the mirror. She glued the mirror onto the plywood then glued small beach rocks around the mirror. You can then paint the edge of the plywood. She made another mirror the same way but used shells, rocks, don't know what they are called but are different sizes (glass rounds cut in half) and anything else she could get at the craft store. This one she glued a piece of rope around it. They are heavy but look fantastic on the wall.

• CandyWA
    20 years ago

I use tiny rounded beach pebbles on bird houses. Just form the shape of a chimney... and a little front porch... out of thin cardboard (cereal box). Then completely cover them with the tiny rocks. I used leftover outdoor grout.... but any number of products would work. I've even covered an entire bird house with the little rounded rocks for a stone cabin look.

• nonacook
    20 years ago

I agree with Joelke, for outdoor use the GE II for windows and doors is the one to use! I tried another silicone and things started to fall off outdoors.

• tskdesign
    17 years ago

You could also consider a high-quality marine two-part epoxy. It's expensive, but excellent. The really good stuff will even cure under water (!). In my experience, it's bullet proof. I work with stone and pebbles all the time in my art, and depending on the project either silicone or epoxy are good.

• jabee
    17 years ago

Gorilla Glue! I glued metal house numbers to uneven limestone with this stuff. Going on 2 years and still stuck together.

Be aware that the glue foams up so a little goes a long way but the foam fills in the spaces between uneven surfaces.

Going to the beach in March, you've got me thinking....

• frogkat
    12 years ago

Hey Beach Pebbles! I am also an avid pebble collector and especially love quartz pebbles(quartzies). I have recently started making flowerpots. I use clear vinyl adhesive caulk that is used for bathrooms. You can buy it in a hardware store. It dies clear. I use it to put the rocks on my terra cotta pots. Then I fill in the spaces with grout. I had a video that was in my favorites but my computer crashed and I lost the link. If you or anyone knows where I can get different colored grout that isn't tooo expensive let me know.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner