Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joycevallee

Painted Rocks

joycevallee
20 years ago

{{gwi:2110567}}

This rock is huge, it is about 20" long. My neighbour took it and placed it beside his garden pond and now he won't give it back. :-(

I've added self-drying modelling clay to some of the rocks. The walkway and wharf on the above rock and the roofs, chimneys, door & window frames on some of the others. The clay sticks with no other glue and dries hard and fast. It is super for smoothing out an akward space.

I started to make bases for some of the rocks because of their odd shapes so they could stand properly. I used mortar mix cement for this for a nice smooth finish.

The clay held up perfectly in our cold weather. I painted the rocks with regular craft paint but I put a coat of epoxy finish after (It may be overkill I don't know, but I wanted them to last).

You cannot see the shiny finish of the eposy finish because I took the pictures before I put it on as the pictures had to much glare when I took it after.

{{gwi:2110568}}

{{gwi:2110569}}

{{gwi:2110570}}

{{gwi:2110571}}

{{gwi:2110572}}

{{gwi:2110573}}

{{gwi:2110574}}

{{gwi:2110575}}

Comments (10)

• gardenbug__
    19 years ago

Wow, Joyce, those are great! I have only managed to make some ladybugs, I wish I had some painting talent.Great job!!

• Ladonna43
    19 years ago

Ohhh wow, i love your rocks!! You did a wonderful job on them!! Thanks for sharing.

• Posie
    19 years ago

Those rocks are absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!
    In fact they are GREAT !!!!!!

Thanks for letting us see them!

• Elliejo
    19 years ago

Great job, they are beautiful. You are so talented to be able to paint like that. I am currently painting concrete pavers but maybe I will go and find some rocks and see what I can do. I sure can't paint like you but I will try something simple.
    Elliejo

• Sunflower_Sue
    19 years ago

I am just TOO impressed! What a great idea...I can understand why neighbor wont give the rock back! A good winter project. You are certainly talented and I am jealous!

• joycevallee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I wish all of these creative people in this forum could live on my street so we could share our talents in person :-)

• sagebrushy
    16 years ago

Wow, what a creative person you are. I absolutely love your stuff. Did you teach yourself or?????

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

Your painted rocks are wonderful. I do them as well and I'm starting to get quite a collection.

• joycevallee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow!!!. I can't believe this post has resurfaced three years later. Thanks again for all the compliments.

Some bad news though. After a year or so the built up clay let go and became mush, ruining the stone. I guess we just have too much rain here.I am so glad I never sold them as others had advised me to do. I was always worried about that clay.

Next time I will use something like "Super Sculpy" and bake it on. It was really disappointing to say the least.

To Sagebushy: Yes I taught myself but it really isn't that hard to do. You don't have to be an artist. The buildings are just basically squares, rectangles and triangles. Do a sketch on a piece of paper and if the rock is smooth enough you can trace it over some carbon or dressmakers carbon. You can also make a cardboard template, tape it to the rock and draw around it. Cut holes for the windows, doors, etc. You can put the details in later. Make sure the rock is super clean. Use soap and a scrub brush as paint will come off if there is dirt underneath.

When painting the use of shading is what makes things stand out. Just look at regular objects around you and you will see how light shades making some things stand out and others go away (recede).

Craftygardener: Perhaps we can see some of yours. There are so many possibilities.

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

One of my painted rocks is on my garden blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted rock houses

Sponsored