Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lonepinebison

Blue Jean Planters

lonepinebison
21 years ago

Hi. I have some questions for those who have made the Blue Jean Planters. I am working on some, and i'm using a Polyacrylic finish for them. After 5 coats of Polyacrylic on them, they are still very flexible& bendable, but retain their shape yes.

What have you used on your blue jean planters for the finish?

I am using a satin Polyacrylic because i don't want high gloss finish.

I was under the impression that by using the Polyacrylic they would be "rock hard", and not flexible.

Any advice or suggestions??

Thanks!

LonePineBison

Comments (19)

• cabin463
    21 years ago

THIS IS WHAT I DID. STARTED OFF AT WITH SUPPLIES:
    SNEAKERS AND OVERALLS.
    1 GALLON OF ELMER'S GLUE
    PVC PIPE (1 1/2" X 2' TALL)
    MOTAR/CEMENT (W/O ROCKS)
    AMERICAN ACCENT ANTIQUE COPPER PAINT KIT (OPTIONAL)
    INDOOR/OUTDOOR URETHANE
    A FIVE GALLON BUCKET

DAY 1:I CUT TWO PIECES OF 1 1/2" PVC ABOUT 2' TALL. THEN MIXED UP SOME CONCRETE/MOTAR (W/O ROCKS), I THEN SHOVED THE CONCRETE INTO THE SNEAKERS, THEN PLACED ONE PVC PIPE IN EACH SNEAKER AND FILL PIPE WITH CONCRETE ALSO (THIS GIVES MY OVERALLS A NICE WEIGHTED BASE)

DAY 2:I POURED SOME GLUE (ABOUT HALF OF THE 1 GALLON) INTO BY 5 GALLON BUCKET. TURNED OVERALL INSIDE OUT, PLACE IN BUCKET AND SMUSHED GLUE INTO JEANS, THEN TURNED JEANS RIGHT SIDE OUT AND DID THE SAME. THIS WAS KINDA MESSY!!
    I THEN USED MY HANDS AND KINDA SQUEEZE OUT THE EXCESS GLUE. I USED MY 8' LADDER WITH A DOWEL TO SUPPORT MY OVERALS AT THIS STAGE. I PLACE A PVC PIPE OVER MY DOWEL TO KEEP THE OVERALLS FROM DRYING WITH A TIGHT BEND IN THE TOP. I THEN PLACE MY SNEAKERS UNDERNEATH THE OVERALL. I USED A PAINTBRUSH TO SPREAD GLUE OVER THE SNEAKERS, I THEN USED MY STAPLE GUN TO STAPLE THE OVERALLS INTO THE SNEAKER (ABOUT FOUR STAPLES INTO THE BACK OF EACH SHOE)

LET THE OVERALL DRY (SEVERAL DAYS)

I THEN USED A PIECE OF 2" PVC AS A FUNNEL AND POURED SOME MORE CONCRETE DOWN EACH LEG OF THE PANTS (ABOUT 6" DEEP). THE PAIR I SAW FROM "MY TROUSER" COMPANY HAD DONE THIS, AND I FIGURE THIS WOULD HELP THE SNEAKER AND JEANS HOLD TOGETHER.

MY FIRST PAIR I JUST GAVE TWO LIGHT COATS OF URETHANE.

MY SECOND PAIR I BOUGHT THIS COPPER ANTIQUE KIT FROM HOME DEPOT. IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD. I THEN FINISHED UP WITH TWO LIGHT COATS OF EUROTHANE.

I A HAVE COULPLE OF PICTURES THAT I CAN EMAIL YOU IF YOU LIKE.

• designsbylisa
    21 years ago

Will you post your pictures? I would love to see them, or you can e-mail me, too. Thanks! I have the supplies and would like to do this project. It sounds really cute.

• lonepinebison
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thank you cabin463 !!! If you could email me the pics that would be great! tantrum107@msn.com

appreciate it!
    have a great day!
    LonePineBison

• judyswont
    21 years ago

I would love to see the pictures also. My email is jlshaw@sympatico.ca. I haven't heard of this before but is sure does sound interesting!! Thanks.
    Judy

• auditeez
    21 years ago

I would love to see the pictures also. Thanks. Audrey

• normal
    20 years ago

I would also love to see your pictures. Thanks Norma

• TracyT
    20 years ago

I know your last post was long time ago but I am a Girl Scout Leader who would like to make the Blue Jean Planters with my troop and I can not find adequate instructions. Could someone please help me here? We would really appreciate it.
    Thanks to all!

• handsdirty
    20 years ago

I know this was posted last year but I would like information and pictures also if available. I would also like any information on what to use on an old pair of overalls. Would like to pose it like it's working in the garden. Can I use the same method as the planter? Any advise or suggestions?
    Thanks!!!
    Dirtyhands

• blumin
    20 years ago

Hi Ladies: I was just browsing and noticed this thread.
    I have made one of these planters.

I stuffed the legs of mine with plastic shopping bags until they were full and tight. Then I used "Plaids" Stiffy Fabric Stiffener. It is easy to use and waterbased.
    I used sponge brushes to apply. I saturated the jeans really well. Let dry and saturated again, and again, and again etc. until I was happy with them. I decided on putting it outside so I sealed it with "Americana" acrylic sealer/finish.
    I have linked it to my crafts alblum...I don't know how to post just one picture.
    Have fun!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: blue jean planter

• clarkie2
    20 years ago

Hey ladies, on the blue jean planter, I would love to see a picture of yours cabin463, could you send me a picture I'd love to make one. yclark@hamburg.wnyric.org Also on that one link from "bluim" the page wouldn't open.

thanks,
    clarkie2

• marjorie320
    19 years ago

I would love a picture of your Planters. Thank You

• missann67
    19 years ago

I WOULD LOVE IT IF cabin463 and also blumin could e-mail me pictures of their blue jean planters along with instructions. I am trying to make my first one.

Thank you,

CrysD@aol.com

• gimpytwice
    19 years ago

I would also love to see your pictures ...sharyl

• gerdonolson
    18 years ago

Blumin,the statuary are really neat how did you do that. Please let me know. The blue jean planter i make is with bib coveralls then bronze them.

• moonspinnerwa
    18 years ago

cabin463 I saw your instructions for the blue jean planter...what a neat idea. Are these toddler's jeans? This is my first time on here and it looks like a neat site. Would you email me the picture @
    m o o n s p i n n e r w a @y a h o o

• barbara_grow
    18 years ago

please e-mail me the pictures of your blue jean planter to jayellturf@shaw.ca
    Thank you

• jiimni
    17 years ago

OK you guys. You got me. Would you please send me a picture of the blue jean planter also. I am new at this part of garden web and I think it is now the best. Wow. Thanks Jimni0214@sbcglobal.net

• MiMi
    15 years ago

If you will e-mail me the pictures I will post them here for you. .Debbie
    DBFireWife@aol.com

• Rebeccalynn0501_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Please email
    Me pix of the process of the overall planters please and thank you!!

Sponsored