Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mardee_gw

Place Card Holder

mardee
18 years ago

HELP!! I volunteered to help the planning committee for my granddaughter's 8th grade prom. I'm in charge of the centerpieces for the banquet. Does anyone have any cute, quick, inexpensive ideas for name card holders? All centerpieces are complete and I thought it would be nice to have each of the student's name on a star on the tables. Their theme is "Our Night to Shine". Everything is being done in blue, silver and purple stars. Any ideas, suggestions and comments would be appreciated. I have until 4/29 to completed my assigned task. Love it!!

Comments (8)

• rhonda2006
    18 years ago

Hi, I don't know what kind of a budget you have, I found something that I think is really cute, goes along with the star theme, the more you buy the cheaper they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.myweddingreceptionideas.com

• mardee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Rhonda2006. That's really cute. And it does give me a few ideas. But I was hoping for something that we could make. The school is a small rural school in Eastern Oklahoma. Most of the families cannot afford to donate to the Prom Fund and the school does not sponser it. Most of the decorations, food, drinks and supplies are donated by the parents & grandparents. And with only 17 students in the 8th grade class and 15 students in the 7th grade, we are not being overwhelmed with volunteers. We're not very big, but we're proud. And our 7th - 8th grade Quiz Bowl team is going to State. Thank you for your suggestion.

• rhonda2006
    18 years ago

Well, I tried. ha! I understand though. I also came from a rural school and only had 24 in my graduating class, eventually we had to consolidate. I'm kind of crafty so I will see if I can come up with something else.

• rhonda2006
    18 years ago

Here's another idea. You could adapt the idea to your colors.If you have a scrapbooking store close, they have lots of paper and probably star stickers that you could put beside their name.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.hgtv.com

• mardee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Rhonda2006. You're right! This ida can be adapted for any theme. The only "crafts" store nearby is a Wal-Mart Super Center. Whoopee. Sometimes they have what you want and sometimes they don't. And when you find an item you really like, and you count on buying it there, they discontinue the item. But, I have an entire spare "bedroom" stock with various craft supplies. I think I have 2 rolls of magnetic strips in there somwhere.

• rhonda2006
    18 years ago

The one that I thought would work for you is the tulip tent one. It doesn't show up on the page, the instructions are there and you can click to see a larger picture, you don't need the magnets for this one.

• mardee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rhonda2006:
    Thought you might like to know what we came up with. My granddaughter was going through the closet and storage where I keep all of my craft "junk" and she found 2 packages of mini-clothespins and 2 packages of craft sticks. She painted the clothespins with the prom theme colors: blue, silver and purple. I bought a couple of packages of small wooden stars at Wal-Mart. I used my Dremel to put a small slot in the center of each star and glued the craft stick in the slot. Then I spray painted the stick/star piece metallic silver. We glued the painted clothespin toward the top of the stick and glued a cutout paper star to the clothespin. If I knew how to post a picture, I would show them to you. Thank you for your help.

• rhonda2006
    18 years ago

Mardee,
    I have been thinking about you and wondered what you were able to come up with. Sounds like a cute idea without spending too much on the project. Glad it worked out for you. :)