Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I make a living wreath base?

Posted by vanessab New Zealand (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 02 at 20:12

I would like to make a living succulent wreath but I do not know how to make a wreath base. I have been unable to locate a wire wreath base at either florists or craft shops - New Zealand hasn't really caught onto the wreath yet! Has anyone got some ideas as to how I could make a sturdy base maybe out of chicken wire or something similar?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I make a living wreath base?

• Posted by Carol__ z8 liberty hill (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 02 at 9:11

You should be able to use chicken wire, just make a wreath shape out of the wire and stuff it with green moss,if you can make it where you can put soil sandwiched between the moss , will work also. I have made a basket out of chicken wire and stuffed the bottom with green moss that I got a the craft store, then added soil and plants, I had to water often because they dry out fast. Hope this helps!!

o

I am glad you posted this - I have been seeing these beauties in magazines lately... I did see an explanation somewhere (when I was really tired ) & now I can't remember where I saw it! I think I will try using the heavy gauge flexible wire I got at Fleet Farm (farm & practical supplies, big huge store here) it's aluminum, cheaply bought in spools to put on electric fencing (to carry the current), supposed to be corrosion-proof... maybe it's too flexible? Anyway I originally got it to try bonsai sometime... Helen

o

If the chicken wire doesn't work for you, how about using a large jello mold, the king that look like wreaths. If it's metal, you can drill drainage holes in it with a carbide bit power drill. Cheers

o

I remember seeing this done on Martha Stewart Living. Try her website for instructions. Hope it's there.

Susan

o

The easiest way I've seen, is to use 2 floral wreath forms (found at most craft and floral supply stores) and wire them together. I believe that they use sheet moss to line them.

Allyson

o

Just last night I saw a great demonstration of the making of a living wreath. There are photos and step x step instructions. Go to Garden of MU! click on garden art.
I tried to do a link but this is the first I've tried so hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden of MU!

o

I just made a wreath like the one shown at the website above (Garden of MU) with the chicken wire. It worked beautifully. The chicken wire mesh shows through a bit, but as the plants fill out, it should be covered. If you wanted to, I'm sure you could tuck more moss in around the bare spots too.

This was my first living wreath. I used sempervivum (hens & chicks) and several creeping sedum (dragon's blood and weiherstaner gold) and Stachys (lamb's ears). I've been tweaking it by tucking in a sprig here and there (pinched a couple of my neighbor's autum gold sedum-with her permission!) and a few jade leaves.

I hope to try one with perennial herbs next--lavender, rosemary, thyme, sage. Maybe I'll throw in some mini basil too, knowing I'll have to replace it next year. I'm hooked!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here