Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanessab_gw

How do I make a living wreath base?

vanessab
22 years ago

I would like to make a living succulent wreath but I do not know how to make a wreath base. I have been unable to locate a wire wreath base at either florists or craft shops - New Zealand hasn't really caught onto the wreath yet! Has anyone got some ideas as to how I could make a sturdy base maybe out of chicken wire or something similar?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Carol__
    22 years ago

You should be able to use chicken wire, just make a wreath shape out of the wire and stuff it with green moss,if you can make it where you can put soil sandwiched between the moss , will work also. I have made a basket out of chicken wire and stuffed the bottom with green moss that I got a the craft store, then added soil and plants, I had to water often because they dry out fast. Hope this helps!!

• applebake
    21 years ago

I am glad you posted this - I have been seeing these beauties in magazines lately... I did see an explanation somewhere (when I was really tired ) & now I can't remember where I saw it! I think I will try using the heavy gauge flexible wire I got at Fleet Farm (farm & practical supplies, big huge store here) it's aluminum, cheaply bought in spools to put on electric fencing (to carry the current), supposed to be corrosion-proof... maybe it's too flexible? Anyway I originally got it to try bonsai sometime... Helen

• vinton
    21 years ago

If the chicken wire doesn't work for you, how about using a large jello mold, the king that look like wreaths. If it's metal, you can drill drainage holes in it with a carbide bit power drill. Cheers

• susan6
    21 years ago

I remember seeing this done on Martha Stewart Living. Try her website for instructions. Hope it's there.

Susan

• sagebrushred
    21 years ago

The easiest way I've seen, is to use 2 floral wreath forms (found at most craft and floral supply stores) and wire them together. I believe that they use sheet moss to line them.

Allyson

• dabev
    21 years ago

Just last night I saw a great demonstration of the making of a living wreath. There are photos and step x step instructions. Go to Garden of MU! click on garden art.
    I tried to do a link but this is the first I've tried so hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden of MU!

• lbolanz
    19 years ago

I just made a wreath like the one shown at the website above (Garden of MU) with the chicken wire. It worked beautifully. The chicken wire mesh shows through a bit, but as the plants fill out, it should be covered. If you wanted to, I'm sure you could tuck more moss in around the bare spots too.

This was my first living wreath. I used sempervivum (hens & chicks) and several creeping sedum (dragon's blood and weiherstaner gold) and Stachys (lamb's ears). I've been tweaking it by tucking in a sprig here and there (pinched a couple of my neighbor's autum gold sedum-with her permission!) and a few jade leaves.

I hope to try one with perennial herbs next--lavender, rosemary, thyme, sage. Maybe I'll throw in some mini basil too, knowing I'll have to replace it next year. I'm hooked!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting