Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beandon_gw

Ideas for DIY plaques needed.

beandon
10 years ago

I'd like to make plaques with writing on them to go in pots and have no clue how to go about making them. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Comments (4)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I believe in recycling/upcycling. What do you have around that you can use again? Any pieces of wood you can paint a dark color for the background and then add words? Anything plastic you can cut up (like margarine container lids)? Cut into any shape: square, rectangle, circle, triangle, heart.
    If you purchase some paint pens the words will stay and not wash away. Then hot glue a popsicle stick or a shish-ka-bob stick to it and stick it in the pot. You can buy longer sticks (like dowels) and put 2 or 3 plaques on each one. You could also cut small holes in the plastic and thread a straightened hanger through them, sticking the other end in the dirt.
    If they won't get much weather (like in your house) you can buy stick on letters in craft stores.
    Are these for clever sayings or for plant markers? Plant markers can be very small, like cut up window blinds.
    Old time metal coffee cans would make great vintage signs. You could spray paint them and write on them. If you're patient you could use a nail and a hammer and make little holes to spell out the letters of your message like, "Mom's Garden".
    Heidi

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I like to use aluminum cans. Mostly I cut them into 1" wide strips (use scissors), but you could cut any shape. Use a ballpoint pen or stylus or even a knitting needle to indent the plant name on the metal--doesn't wear off, doesn't rust, doesn't disintegrate like plastic!

• Sarahwill
    9 years ago

making of the address boards with the left over wooden and paint is a good option too

• larkdpur
    9 years ago

Make plaques out of giant hosta leaves or larger rhubarb leaves or giant Gunnera leaves.

Purchase vinyl cement powder at big box store. Select leaf. Lay leaf on a bed of sand shaping the natural form on the leaf on the sand.
    Follow the cement directions on the container by adding water and mixing In a separate container. Vinyl cement is light weight and does not break as easily as regular Portland cement.
    Slowly cover the leaf in the sand bed following the shape at least a 1/4" thick with vinyl cement. Let dry in a shady place. Once cement has cured in 24-48 hours depending on the temps remove the leaf from the cement. Now u have a shape and texture of the leaf to paint. I use a simple patio brand lime green color paint. Then a tint gold rub on with cloth, then wipe off excess gold tint. Spray with a seal of flat or satin clear finish urethane,and UR good to go. Add sticky back hanging Velcro for hanging on walls.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm