Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryllou_gw

making plant markers from copper sheeting.

cheryllou
21 years ago

I am thinking about making some plant markers from copper. I have some pieces of copper. It is pretty rigid & I am wondering how to cut it. I think if I use tin snips, it will bend the edges. I am going to cut triangles out of the copper, drill a hole in the top point, & hang them from a wire with a hook at the top.

Comments (13)

• copperlox2002
    21 years ago

I think they would be cool bent, in fact I would beat them with something to get that hammered effect...but that's just me, Copperlox

• Lee_Ann
    21 years ago

cheryllou - I'm doing similarly, but using thin copper sheeting & making holders from coat hangers. They'll be rectangular-shaped w/legs to ground to hold the copper strip after it's short ends are wrapt arnd the holder. Tried the cutely curved pc of hanger for holder and the durn wind kept blowing them off even w/little curve tightened sevrl times, something to consider. Mine'll lk something like the ones from stores. Hope this helps, if not lmk. Am also painting some tiles and thinking of making holders like plate holders to set them arnd in gdn beds, don't have prototype yet on that one yet.

• Angel2U
    21 years ago

Where do you get the flat Copper & $ PLEASE I have been looking Cindy

• janiemygirl
    21 years ago

Hello,
    Please let me know also where I might find the copper sheeting as I would like to try my hand at making the markers. Thank you!!!!!

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

Angel, try Michaels or Hobby Lobby craft stores if you have one nearby.

You can also make them using copper wire and sheeting. You kind of make a "frame and stand" using the twisted copper wire (it should be in the shape of a stick person without arms and legs LOL)... cut the sheeting so it has little "ears" on each corner. You can bend them over the "frame" of the wire. Make any sense?

Holly

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

Okay... I knew I'd seen this website, popped over to Garden Junk and here 'tis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper sheeting

• sheri
    21 years ago

Hi,

Butterbeanbaby beat me to it! I was out of town and couldn't remember the name of the website and needed to look it up on my bookmarks.

I have ordered from Misterart.com twice, and have been perfectly happy with their product and their shipping time. If you search for "copper sheeting" within their website, it will show you other types of product too, but this is what I've ordered in the past.

I would advise that you watch the gauge if you buy it locally. When I first tried making tags, I bought what they sell at Michael's, and I've had to replace pretty much all of them. The gauge was too thin. The wind would just pummel the tags, and they would eventually just rip away. The 36 gauge is heavy enough to be durable, but still has some flex to it so that you can engrave on it with just a pen.

When I make my labels, I use a template to trace an oval. Then, using a sharp pair of scissors, I cut the oval about 1/16 inch larger. This leaves an attractive raised border, but also adds just a bit of strength to the tag. Then I use a hole punch at the top. I usually use the labels so the ovals are short and wide, but I could also use them with the oval tall and narrow. Then I use a coat hanger to make a "shephard's hook," and loop the end tightly around the tag. I usually paint the hanger wire gold too, but I haven't gotten to the one in the picture yet. The tags flitter about in the wind, which I find attractive too. I don't think I've lost any of the labels out of the heavier foil.

{{gwi:2110594}}

Good luck! I'd love to see posted what you come up with, if it's different.
    Thx! Sheri

• IdahoMom
    21 years ago

I found copper at a local recycling yard for $1.35/lb. It's pretty heavy but cutable with metal snips. I'm just not sure about writing on it; I think only an engraver would do the job.

• Lotta_Fruit
    21 years ago

I make markers out of aluminum flashing, from a builders supply. It's sold in different widths, an its cheap.I suppose you could get copper, also. I use a nail, to write the names on with.

• Monique_CA
    21 years ago

Sheri,
    I love your tags. Thanks for the photo.

Another place to get different types of metal sheeting(although I had never checked out the gauge of the metals - this was b.f. -before forums) would be at a metal fabricating supply shop. When my husband bought a sheet of aluminum a few years ago for his espresso trailer, I was salivating over the different types of metals and thinking what kind of tools would I need...

• lil_rhody
    20 years ago

Home Depot carries copper sheeting in various widths and lengths.

• OspreySanctuary
    20 years ago

They don't here in Fl. that's the first place I looked.

• Nancy Barginear
    15 years ago

Instead of using coat hangar wire, which rusts fairly quickly, we use cyclone fence wire. It is galvanized and much heavier. It is more difficult to bend, but much sturdier. You can get a roll of it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Sponsored