Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden chimes

Posted by babanna z5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 04 at 1:29

Hi all! I am thinking of making some garden chimes out of some old silverware I have (I have a brown bag full each of spoons, knives, forks...). I would like to possibly make a really big one or long one or lots of them......

Got any ideas? I thought this would be a great project to start this week maybe or at least this summer and eliminate some of my drawer clutter at the same time.
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden chimes

found a site hope this helps anyone else
http://www.craftygal.com/archives/401/table401.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: windchimes

o

I use old samovars, old metal teapots or any metal container that you like. I hang it upside down and drill holes around the opening for the wire or monofilament to go through and add the silverware.

o

You could use a piece of a branch to drill holes to hang from, or if you could find a large metal plate you could turn that upside down and use it as well.
To hang I used a small wooden block from the craft store screwed into the bottom of my small plate then screwed in a eye hook to hang from the top of the block.

o

Years ago the fad was making them with old colored china...I will try to explain.
1. They took a plate and drilled a hole at the top.
2. Drill 4-5 holes at the bottom...for the fishing line.
3. Drilled holes in the silverware..depending on which you preferred...top or bottom...and then attached

Another way was to drill a hole in the middle of the plate...and then wholes all the way around to hold the fishing line and silverware.

Hope that gives you a picture. I have found drilling it glass like that fairly easy..freeze the plate first....

o

That's great! Thank you. I'm cleaning out my cupboards and drawers...hence my getting rid of the old silverware I'd been saving for a outdoor party or something I just might need extra settings for...
I think I still have some mismatched china and whatnots...have to look. Thank you.

o

Hi Firefighther,
I know lots of folks try to drill plates, cups, etc. Just wondering why you suggested "freezing" the plates before drilling? Is there a special bit, other than the diamond, masonary that most use when drilling glass?

Thanks,
Mary Ann

o

Try this article on making silverware wind chimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silverware chimes

o

I made one and used a old copper kettle. I hung the silverware from that. I used a pie cutter in the middle. I put 8 pieces of silverware around.

o

I have tried to drill old stainless steel silverware ....@#$%!!!! Does anyone have any idea how to do that.?

o

Stainless steel is usually a very hard metal. You need a sharp, hard drill bit such as carbide. Use a center punch to put a small dent where you want to drill so the bit doesn't wander. If you have a hard time denting the metal with a sharp center punch, then you know you have a hard metal. A drill press will make the job a little easier but they cost $150 and up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here