Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowercel

plant markers

flowercel
21 years ago

I am interested in seeing everyone's clever plant markers. I am thinking of making some for family gifts and need ideas. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• CrazeeMoi
    21 years ago

Hello....I haven't made any...however I hope to make some and I did a search to get ideas. Here is one site to get you started....might give you some ideas. Then do a search..... plant pokes or garden stakes or plant markers etc

Here is a link that might be useful: plant pokes

• Sunny_Sky
    21 years ago

Here's what I like to do for markers:

I take a paint-stirrer stick and glue it inside an empty seed package. Then I take it to Kinko's and have them laminate the seed packet with plastic. After that, my new marker is ready to stick in the ground, the paint stick is long and lets me adjust the height as I desire. Some of the seed packages are works of art. Yesterday, I got a handful of beautifully illustrated seeds for only 6 cents a pack (at Menards).

• breathe
    21 years ago

I saw something, it was really beautiful. Someone had taken some copper sheet and cut a 'plaque' outline out and then used a sharp object of some kind to poke bumps into it, making a design. I think she used a pen to write the plant name in the center. Just darling and of course they won't fade or wash out. I believe she said the pattern/directions came from a book called Simple Wire & Metal Style. Gotta get me a copy!

• FlwrLdy52
    21 years ago

They aren't particularly lovely, but they work well until lovely ones come along: Use vinyl miniblind or regular sized blind slats. They cut easily with sissors, so you can make them any length or width. Write on them with pencil; it won't fade.

• maders
    21 years ago

what drill bit thingy do you use on the dremel tool to etch names into wood? I've tried a couple and no luck.

• sunrisegirl
    21 years ago

I have wondered if you could use sculpy to make the sign and put it on a stick/wire...I haven't tried it but I keep thinking about it :-)

• LoriJean
    21 years ago

Broken terracotta pots make attractive plant markers. Use marker to write plant name on large pieces. Place the pieces next to the plant.

• nancelee
    21 years ago

I love to use old flatware picked up at thrift shops. Write the name of the plant on with a sharpie perm. marker. The knives are especially nice. You can decorate them with fine silver wire, charms, and flat marbles glued on, etc. This makes a great gift and also adds interest to the garden. nancelee

• User
    20 years ago

I collect rocks from the beach and paint plant names on them with craft paint. 2-3 coats of exterior polyurethane (both sides) and they last for years.

• jeepbttrfly
    20 years ago

A quick way to make any of your plant markers stand out is to use transfer rub-ons. I decorated sets of those mini-blind cut out tags with grape and violet rub-ons. They turned out great. It's just that little extra that makes them look like plant markers instead of just mini-blinds cut up. ;0)

• buffy690
    19 years ago

This is an oldie but, I save popsicle sticks and write on them with perm. marker. I have also taken a fork and bent the tines you can create a hanger or slide a seed packet in between.

• lovetocook_andeat
    14 years ago

These unique plant markers and garden decor stakes are great to use. They have bunnies, watering cans, flowers, pumpkins, tulips, birdhouses and more to choose from. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Unique Plant Markers

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery