Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cast leaves

Posted by Kathy_z7 z7NC USA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 04 at 11:53

I was wanting to try to make cast leaves out of Portland cement. I found them in the BHG magazine, May issue. They are spectacular, and I would love to make a huge one for a bird bath to put in my garden.
My question is: They say to use garden spikes in the cement and then to put the spike end in a copper tube to hold it in the ground. I want to use a huge Hosta leaf as my mold. But I feel like those garden spikes would not be sturdy enough to hold a huge leaf cast this size.
Has anyone else tried this and would have any info to help me?
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cast leaves

Kathy, go over to garden accoutrements, they'll be able to help you.

o

Also check out the hypertufa forum - & don't forget the FAQ section - this should answer all your questions

o

This is a little different than the BHG instructions, but they are tried and true! I have made many using the exact directions from this site and have terrific luck...I use rhubarb leaves as directed in the instructions, and use "Quick Crete" as the cement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cast Rhubarb Leaf Stepping Stones

o

I came to this particular forum to find some hints for doing this since I'm going to do some Rhubarb leaves this weekend, but instead of flat, I am going to have them curve. I have had some instructions from Martha Stewarts website for over a year now. The first part is similar to GardenGirl's, but to keep the shape and curves of the leaf, they lay the leaf on #1 fine sand sort of mounded so the leave can keep a curved shaped and then put the cement mixture on the back of the leaf. I'd like to try to do the mirror part from the Martha Stewart site. I saw the show and they had some cool ideas, (If I could only remember them all.) I'm going to have to find the BHG instructions and try this several ways.

Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fossil Leaf Mirror

o

GardenGirl, that's a great link. Thank you for sharing it.

Candy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here