Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to break a CD?

Posted by flowerbugND1 3b N.D. (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 04 at 11:53

I love the idea of a CD bowling ball, so I tried to break some. But, all they do is bend, and then the backing comes off. I tried to hammer one, but it just bounces off.
Help!
LeeAnn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to break a CD?

Haven't tried one yet, but I read somewhere to cut it with scissors.

Donna

o

If you have a heatgun , blast it with some heat, ya might even try a blowdryer then cut with good scissors. The heat makes all the difference!
Kathy

o

How bout a scroll saw to cut them certain shapes or jigsaw?...be easier?

o

• Posted by Liatris FraserCoast,Qld (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 04 at 17:46

LeeAnn, please be sure to wear eye protection - when that stuff decides to shatter it shatters good.

o

Try putting it in the freezer for a day and then hit it with a hammer. A lot of things shatter after they become cold enough. You might try sticking it in a ziplock or bag to contain the pieces while hammering.

o

Just so you know; I finally tried the freezer method. It works great. Five minutes in the freezer, and you can break them with a hammer in a thick plastic bag. They warm up fast; you can only take one out at a time to break.
I made a CD bowling ball with them - well actually two, one for a friend. Turned out great.
Thanks for the help AdellaBedella!
LeeAnn

o

I give up. What is a CD bowling ball? I've been saving CDs with the idea that someday I'd find a creative/craft use for them. Could this be it? What is it? Marie009.

o

Here is a picture of mine, Marie.
It is really easy to make, once you have broken the CD's. Just spread grout over the ball, and press in the broken CD pieces. Let dry.

LeeAnn

o

WOW, but i don't think my dad will let me to that to his bowling ball. But i sooooo want to make one!! wwwaaaaaahhhh.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here