Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making metal look rusty and old?

Posted by meadow_lark 7 (NE Alabama) (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 15:04

Does anyone know how (or know of a website that shows how) to make metal look rusty and old?

I thought you could buy tin or sheet metal, and spray some kind of chemical on it, and it would have a "reaction" that would cause a rust-affect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks bunches... Meadow Lark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making metal look rusty and old?

I saw spray paint at Lowe's that makes it look rusty, old, and hammered. Don't remember the brand, but it was around $6.00 a can, and came in rust, black, red and a few other colors.

Jan

o

Hgtv.com (crafts message boards) has had some
postings in the last month or so
about using brown or black spraypaint and sprinkling
cinnamon on it while wet. In the pictures they posted,
it does look rusty. I don't know how the cinnamon
thing would hold up outside though. There was a
spray on the market, don't know if it is still out
there, that would make things rust. Check everywhere
they sell spray paints.
That is the only help I can give you.

o

Go to a stain glass store. They will have the products that you can just wipe on to age metal.

o

One simple and inexpensive way to make metal rusty and old looking is to simply spray vinigar on it. Do not spray it very heavy, just mist it with a common spray bottle. Do not delute the vinigar.Wait a couple of hours between applications, the more you apply, the more it will rust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here