Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas

Posted by lavoix48 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 17:04

How can i keep hydrangea flowers in water without them wilting...
Hope someone can help me..
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas

You can spray the blooms with a water bottle, that should help!:)

o

Thank you for your input

o

Speaking of hydrangeas: Is it true that some hydrageas appear
more blue than others because of the soil content? If so,
what kind of soil brings out the deep blue color that I am
seeing in my area of central NC?
Good luck with yours lavoix! I saw a rather faded & wilted hydragea at a local garden store that just "begged" me to take it home, but I resisted the urge to buy it because I had one
several years ago and it didn't do well for me.

o

I have heard that many people will plant a blue hydrangea near their blueberries to see how light or dark the blue hydrangea flower gets. It shows if aluminum sulphate should be added to the soil to make it more acidic. I guess aluminum sulphate lowers the PH levels and makes the soil more acidic. I have never tried this, but maybe you can check it out.

dem_pa

o

Depends on the variety. Pee Hydrangeas aka Hydrangea Paniculata (the old Victorian favorite) do not wilt when cut in late August and early September in their later stages of color, just turning from pink to maroon. I have cut them at that time and put them into any empty dry vase, and they lasted for a couple years. I have also cut them too early in the white and green stage and they wilt, even in water. I have made wreaths of them cut in their late stage, and they are knockouts! Just gorgeous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here