Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marigolds

Posted by eugeneb4 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 20:01

I have a question on blooming. What conditions have to be present for them to bloom? I see the ones at the garden stores blooming and are very small. I bought several different types of seeds and planted them within my tomatoes and other flowering veggies. The veggies are blooming but the marigolds aren't.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marigolds

1. Lots of sun.
2. Keep deadheading. Break off the old blooms. You can leave on a few if you want some seeds, but don't leave the majority.
3. If your veggies are doing well the marigolds should be doing well, too. They are hardy little plants. They attract bees and pollinators which you want in your garden. Are they getting enough sun and water? You might try a little fertilizer.
4. It's also still early in the year and in my state, Nebraska, it's been cold. My tomatoes are just starting to bloom and the entire garden looks short, weak and spindly. I only have one marigold blooming. In fact, I've planted marigold seeds 3 times this spring. The first 2 times they didn't germinate and I've NEVER had marigold seeds where NONE of them germinated.
5. During this part of the year I've noticed marigolds spend more time growing up and out, less time blooming. By August you'll have bushes of blooms (probably). Store-bought marigolds should be ahead of the game a litte, but if it's not hot and wet enough, they just kind of sit around.
Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here