Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transfering writting on dinnerware/plates?

Posted by kittymommy z9LA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 9:19

Does anyone know of a way to transfer a poem to a plate without having to use a kilm(is that the correct word?) as in making ceramics? I do not have a very attractive handwriting and if possible would like to print it out and put it on the plate. I tried decopauging but the paper didn't really blend in well. I tried using decal paper but that just smeared and was a major pain.LOL! If I could transfer a poem on to a plate in a method that would also allow the plate to be used(safe for using food items on) that would be a big plus!Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transfering writting on dinnerware/plates?

If you can use a clear glass plate there is a simple way to transfer using reverse painting. Simply print out your saying to fit the plate and lay the pattern down and set the plate on top so you can see the print. Trace over the words on the topside of the plate with a fine line sharpie marker(this will come right off when you are finished). Turn the plate over and use a good glass paint like Folk Art Enamels that you can bake on in your oven and a good quality fine brush. Follow the manufactures directions for baking. But first use rubbing alcohol to remove the tracing on the topside. This always works for me and is food safe since the paint never touches the food......good luck!

o
RE: Transfering writting on dinnerware/plates?

Another way to do it is to obtain the plain glass plates, I believe that Walmart has them or perhaps Target. Print your poem on a very light weight paper. Using a glue for gluing paper to glass, glue it on the wrong side of the plate. The craft department at Walmarts should be able to tell you what glue to use. It will show through just fine and will be on the back side so it won't touch the food! Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here