Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
concrete mushrooms

Posted by tlb2005 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 15:27

Not sure if this is the correct forum.....sorry if it is not......

I think I might try to make these but I need to know what types of bowls would be better to use. Plastic, metal, or what??

After is has dried, does the concrete just "pop out" of the bowl? Should I do something to prepare the bowl first?

Can I use styrofoam cups for the stems?

What kind of concrete to use? Kwikcrete?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: concrete mushrooms

I have been looking and studying this website (garden junk hypertufa-etc.) for a while, taking in all of the information that I could find.
I have now took up mushroom making, while Im not an expert on this or anything I will tell you what I have tried and what I like best. And mind you that I am cheap, and try to do this with a lot less effort or money.

1. I like plastic the best of all; its easy to use and easy to clean up.

2. Ive read to use PAM, armorall, Vaseline, and others as a release agent. I used PAM for a while, and it works well, but it is to pricy to spray on plastic. I tried the off brand from the Dollar Tree and it was just a big mess. I have now taken cooking oil and put it in a spray bottle, and it works fine.

3. I do not know if Styrofoam will work. I went to the flea market and purchased some plastic cups (Hardees, Burger King, and McDonalds) from a vendor for about 2 bucks for 30. You will need to spray them also. Note: Do not fill the all of the way up. I leave about to of an inch at the top. I leave it 24 hours and the turn upside down and hit it on the table and it slides right out.

4. As I said earlier I am cheap and I also have a little streak of lazy, so to make things simple I purchased the "sand / topping mix", and it is made by quikrete. The sand / topping mix already has the sand and Portland mixed together. I also purchased a bag of vermiculite. My recipe that I use is 1 to 1. Add enough water to hold together, but not make it runny and you are all set to go.

I have made about 20 mushrooms so far and everything works out fine. The more you do the more comfortable you will be with it. I hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here