Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cockscomb

Posted by seedseller1 4 IA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 04 at 17:51

Hi All,

This is the first time I've planted giant cockscomb & it's so pretty. Can it be dried, and if so how?

Thanks,

Mrs Seedseller1 - Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cockscomb

They are a popular dried flower. They just need to be hung upside-down in a warm, dry, dark area. Because they are very fleshy, they need to dry quickly so they don't lose color-the warmer the area the better.

o

I am also a new cockscomb grower. If I cut the plant is that it for the season or will it grow again? How much of the stem do I cut?

o

Cut as much stem as you need..esp. to hang it up to dry. That is about it for the year, but save all of those seeds that will drop out when you dry them..they will give you plenty of seeds to work with for next year. If you let them dry on the plant,that meaning frost killing the plant, you will also have hundreds of plants for next year..much more than you will ever think about needing. For color, cutting them to dry is better.
I dried some last year and tucked them into my Christmas tree with Spanish moss wrapped around the stems..very pretty!

o

When do I know its time to dry them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here