Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftymee

Lamb's Ear Plant

craftymee
19 years ago

Hello Everyone!! Does anybody else use these plants for crafts?? Lamb's Ear I mean!! I have used the leaves for blankets on polymer clay animals and figures. But the real reason I ask is this...I have one plant that is like 4 feet across and about8-9 feet tall!!! It is so huge, and I have never seen one like this!! It is like a prehistoric plant or something!! It is flowering now and I am concerned when Fall gets here as to how to care for it. Do I trim it down? It was only like a foot tall last Winter, so there was no big deal. But I want it to continue, I just want to do the right thing for the plant :) Thanks for any suggestions or insight!

Janet

Comments (12)

• babanna
    19 years ago

I cut mine off without worry. They always return in abundance again. You can dry the plant for arrangements or wreaths or most anything and it keeps nice and soft (just a bit crumbly when it gets too old).

• craftymee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey!! Guess what I learned??!! This is not Lamb's ear at all !! It is called Mullien (think I spelled it right?!) and in ancient times it was an herb of protection, and in the second year, it produces stalks that flower, those were dried and used as torches in ancient times. It is a bienial, which I think means it will die this year after it finishes flowering. I learned so much about on a herb site and thought I would share my newly found info!! Thanks so much for your response, and I am looking to find some new uses before the plant is gone. But I have more sprouting!! :)
    Craftymee

• kassy_ms
    19 years ago

I tried to grow lamb's ear and it died, what are you doing for it to grow so well.

Kassy

• forgetmenot_tx
    19 years ago

I also planted a lambs ear for the first time this year for my grandson because he thought it felt so good when he "petted" it. Anyway, it also died. It's been real hot and dry here in East Texas the past few weeks, is it supposed to be in partial shade? I have it in mostly sunny location and tried to keep it watered, but it died anyway.

• craftymee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I didn't really do anything for it, The soil in my front garden is very rocky, but it originally started in the gravel driveway, so it must like that kinda stuff! ZAnd it gets full sun most of the day, and full rain too. lol!! I live in the Pacific Northwest you know!! But it has grown more of the shoots with the flowers on them. So my plan will be to see if I can dry those and make torches from them for the Winter Solstice. That is another use they listed from the ancient times, I have learned just because I let what my landlady considers a weed grow!!

• kansasgail
    19 years ago

I made a beautiful wreath from lamb's ear leaves. Using a straw wreath base, you completely cover it by laying the stem side down, folding the top of the leaf over and then use a floral pick to hold it in place. The next layer covers the pick of the one before. You have to do the inside, top and outside, to completely cover the base. Then I put dried roses, etc., to "pretty it up." The wreath is probably fifteen years old now and I have replaced the roses, etc. but the lambs ears still look great.

Gail

• ivorysnow1985_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I wish mine were so easy to control! It seems to reseed itself so there are flowers every year. I want to try the wreath idea!

• charlie-ia
    10 years ago

whats the best way to preserve these types of felted leaves? Do they all curl up if u use them fresh? Would i press them? Thanks

• Bloomit
    9 years ago

My lambs ear in Michigan is thriving in poor soil and half a day of shade. I really don't do anything to it, it keeps multiplying. I don't think they like full sun.

• Bloomit
    9 years ago

My lambs ear in Michigan is thriving in poor soil and half a day of shade. I really don't do anything to it, it keeps multiplying. I don't think they like full sun.

• Bloomit
    9 years ago

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz