Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lamb's Ear Plant

Posted by craftymee 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 04 at 23:12

Hello Everyone!! Does anybody else use these plants for crafts?? Lamb's Ear I mean!! I have used the leaves for blankets on polymer clay animals and figures. But the real reason I ask is this...I have one plant that is like 4 feet across and about8-9 feet tall!!! It is so huge, and I have never seen one like this!! It is like a prehistoric plant or something!! It is flowering now and I am concerned when Fall gets here as to how to care for it. Do I trim it down? It was only like a foot tall last Winter, so there was no big deal. But I want it to continue, I just want to do the right thing for the plant :) Thanks for any suggestions or insight!
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lamb's Ear Plant

I cut mine off without worry. They always return in abundance again. You can dry the plant for arrangements or wreaths or most anything and it keeps nice and soft (just a bit crumbly when it gets too old).

o

Hey!! Guess what I learned??!! This is not Lamb's ear at all !! It is called Mullien (think I spelled it right?!) and in ancient times it was an herb of protection, and in the second year, it produces stalks that flower, those were dried and used as torches in ancient times. It is a bienial, which I think means it will die this year after it finishes flowering. I learned so much about on a herb site and thought I would share my newly found info!! Thanks so much for your response, and I am looking to find some new uses before the plant is gone. But I have more sprouting!! :)
Craftymee

o

:) funny- I was about to tell you that you've got a Comfrey plant, not a lamb's ear...

I'll send you some lamb's ear if you like... I have a friend who's drowning in it ! we started out with two sandwich bags of rooted plants...and three years later, it's an 8 foot long, 2 foot wide border...

the mullien is another one of those plants that's been useful to humans for so long that it's regarded as one of the 'magic' herbs as well as healing...

wonder how it would look as the backing to a wreath, instead of magnolia leaves? maybe with wormwood, russian sage, and other silver foliage?

o

I tried to grow lamb's ear and it died, what are you doing for it to grow so well.

Kassy

o

I also planted a lambs ear for the first time this year for my grandson because he thought it felt so good when he "petted" it. Anyway, it also died. It's been real hot and dry here in East Texas the past few weeks, is it supposed to be in partial shade? I have it in mostly sunny location and tried to keep it watered, but it died anyway.

o

I didn't really do anything for it, The soil in my front garden is very rocky, but it originally started in the gravel driveway, so it must like that kinda stuff! ZAnd it gets full sun most of the day, and full rain too. lol!! I live in the Pacific Northwest you know!! But it has grown more of the shoots with the flowers on them. So my plan will be to see if I can dry those and make torches from them for the Winter Solstice. That is another use they listed from the ancient times, I have learned just because I let what my landlady considers a weed grow!!

o

I made a beautiful wreath from lamb's ear leaves. Using a straw wreath base, you completely cover it by laying the stem side down, folding the top of the leaf over and then use a floral pick to hold it in place. The next layer covers the pick of the one before. You have to do the inside, top and outside, to completely cover the base. Then I put dried roses, etc., to "pretty it up." The wreath is probably fifteen years old now and I have replaced the roses, etc. but the lambs ears still look great.

Gail

o

I wish mine were so easy to control! It seems to reseed itself so there are flowers every year. I want to try the wreath idea!

o

whats the best way to preserve these types of felted leaves? Do they all curl up if u use them fresh? Would i press them? Thanks

o

My lambs ear in Michigan is thriving in poor soil and half a day of shade. I really don't do anything to it, it keeps multiplying. I don't think they like full sun.

o

My lambs ear in Michigan is thriving in poor soil and half a day of shade. I really don't do anything to it, it keeps multiplying. I don't think they like full sun.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here