Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellatinker_gw

Preserving lemons for decoration in a glass jar

bellatinker
20 years ago

I see lemons displayed in glass jars, and I would like to do the same. I make preserved lemons for cooking, but these turn a darker color when left in their jar setting on the kitchen counter. I want to display them in a liquid, the way I see them in department stores. What is in the liquid and how do you keep them nice and yellow for a permanent display.....thanks in advance for any assistance

Comments (6)

• sred98
    20 years ago

I would think just a regular white vinegar and any additional garnish you would like to add. If you were actually going to cook with the lemons, you might want to use a white wine vinegar. A few sprigs of rosemary or thyme would be nice, too. Unless you wanted to be more dessert oriented, then maybe a few vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks.

Hope this helps,

Shelly

• bellatinker
    Original Author
    20 years ago

These are for display only. I found out today that you can use ascorbid acid or fruit fresh, just as in canning to help maintain the color of the lemons. Afterabout 4 months of being in the jar, the ones I tried to do so far, start to darken, which isn't acceptible for display. When I preserve them for later use in cooking, I slit them and cover with salt and let them stand at room temp.( a pickling process of sorts) Once they are opened they have to go in the fridge. So many decorating and specialty stores sell them in fancy jars, but they are pricey. I was just hoping someone might know their little secret. I had even thought that vodka, etc. might help them not to turn. Then the canning suggestion made since, because you don't want peaches, pears, etc. to turn a funny brown color after you process them....the lemons in the jar are in a liquid and you can see peppercorns also.I think they are very attractive on the kitchen counter but just needed to see if there was some way to keep them looking all bright and yellow. Thanks for your suggestion, now I wonder should I use the vinegar with the fruit fresh stuff, maybe I'll just read the instruction, on the package ( read instructions-last step for me always ---HA HA !)

• sred98
    20 years ago

Well, the lemons have ascorbic acid in them. That's why we use them to keep apples, peaches, bananas, etc. from browning. I got to looking around and found this site. I'm planning on making some brandied cherries for Christmas this year...for "adult" chocolate covered cherries, so I've got some sites marked. I hope this helps you. It even mentions your peppercorns! ;o) http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blcon17.htm

Shelly

• bellatinker
    Original Author
    20 years ago

This is the same recipe I am using for the preserved lemons that I use in cooking. The ones for display are kept whole and no pulp exposed. After setting out for about 6 months, the peel starts to darken. Who knows, maybe the ones you buy also only stay that bright pretty yellow about 6 mo. I'll use your recipe again and let you know what happens. Thank you so much for all your effort. Maybe they will turn out great this next go around.

• sred98
    20 years ago

Well shoot! Sorry I wasn't more help! I haven't seen the ones that are whole in bottles...the only ones I've seen are the sliced or quartered ones. You'll have to send me a pic of how it looks when you're finished! I think anything will turn color, though, if it is left out in the light. Good luck with this! I bet they're really pretty!

Shelly

• clermont
    20 years ago

I'm looking for contest rules on decorative canning. I can't find anything on the net. Help!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets