Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbieg_gw

What can I do with an old window?

debbieg
19 years ago

I am doing a remodel and replacing all my windows. One of the windows that I always loved is 75" x 25" with 4 panes of glass in it. Would it be safe to use it somewhere in my garden? Also, does anyone have any cool ideas on what could be done with it...I don't have a vision, I just know I want it somewhere if possible! My husband says dump it...but I don't want to!

Thanks in advance...Debbie

Comments (15)

• buckeye78
    19 years ago

My neighbor painted hers to look like it had curtains and pots of flowers sitting on the sill and then hung it on the back of her shed. The back faces my yard and it is really beautiful. I think she must have painted the side that she hung against the shed wall. I have also seen old windows mounted to the front of a shallow box to make a cabinet. I am hoping to find a window or two of my own to craft.

Pam

• gimpytwice
    19 years ago

Hi Debbie..
    I replaced the windows in our old house to and saved the windows and etched fern leaves in the different panes,with etching medium,turned out so good a friend of mine bought for 40.00.
    I have also made different designs with gallery glass in the different panes...Sharyl

• debbieg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you to both of you! Pam... I'm definitely not talented enough to paint something, though I love that idea! I bet it is beautiful. Sharyl...it sounds like you are a very talented person also. What do you mean by gallery glass? I'm thinking of removing the glass now and possible turning it into a full length mirror...it's so heavy I could just lean it against a wall in the house. What do you think?

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Debbie-If the glass is still good I wouldn't destroy or remove it.That is part of the nostalgia of the old window.Hang it on the side of the house or a shed and place a planter box underneath.I like the gallery glass idea.I painted a large iris on an old 6 pane window and placed it between the double glass windows in my dining room.The old window was almost the size of the bottom section of that window and it looks like the window is stained glass.Gallery glass is a type of paint that looks like stained glass.Can be purchased at craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels and some Wal-Mart stores.You lay a pattern under the glass want to paint on,apply the liquid leading,then fill in with the colors.It comes in transparent and opaque colors and is really beautiful when done.I have had people ask me if my window was stained glass.I also have another identical window hanging in my bedroom that I cut photo mats to fit each pane and put pictures behind them.Like framing a picture but this way you get 6 pictures into one frame.You could do either one of these projects and hang it outside if it's in a protected area.Hope you find a neat way to display your old window.
    God bless.....................Lillie

• Julie
    19 years ago

It is big enough to make a cold frame with? Can you use it like a picture frame?

• debbieg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you everyone...you've given me things to think about!

With a smile...Debbie

• Candy_Anne
    19 years ago

Here is a link that I recently found. I know you posted this a while ago, I hope it helps.
    http://www.handpaintedwindows.com/

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

{{gwi:2110654}}

• fgirl21
    19 years ago

Here's a site with a TON of ideas for old windows

Here is a link that might be useful: old window ideas

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

For the potting shed: Find a poster of a landscape you like. Trim to fit the window. Back with cardboard. Hang on the wall of your potting shed and you'll have an instant view.

For the potting shed or for hanging on an outside wall: Find a mural type, washable wallpaper scrap from dealer, one with a tall design that will fit well with the window, or turn the window on its side and have a panorama. Back with plastic.

For the house or for the garden: For your mirror idea, you can also get tiles cut to fit the individual panes. The tiles can be thinner than a full mirror would be and therefore lighter. You can find a shop that custom cuts glass and mirrors in the Yellow Pages.

For the garden: If painting is not your great talent, use sun-catchers. You can either hang them in front of or behind the panes or instead of the panes, depending upon the effect.

For the garden: Have your children put their hands in paint and then hand print the panes. OUr Lowe's carrying a product called 'Gloves in a Bottle' that goes on like lotion that prevents the paint from bonding with the skin. The lotion is shed with the natural shedding of the skin within three or four hours of use.

Put it over a cinderblock square for a coldframe.

Since it's as tall as a door, fasten curtain fabric to the back. Fasten a door knob to the front, and nail to a solid wall. Put flagstones or pavers as if they were the path leading to your door. (This works particularly well during political campaigns with lots of visitors who are unfamiliar with your house.)

Ray

• Candy_Anne
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I'm pretty new to this forum. This forum is a little slow compared to others on garden web, but I thought I would post so you could see what I did with an old window. Sorry
    about the chair behind the window tho.
    Thanks,
    Candy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2110653}}

• debbieg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You are all so creative with fabulous ideas. Unfortunately, during my remodel, one of the guys dumped my beautiful window out with the rest of the garbage and now it's gone. I was really bummed! But, you've still given me some great ideas that I will file away for future reference. Maybe I'll find one somewhere!

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all of you! Debbie

• Cricketm
    19 years ago

I painted two old (6 panes over 6) windows and had my husband put a mirror on the back of them. In the Spring we put them in my garden on a fence and it reflects my beautiful flower garden. He made a copper roof-- like an awning on top of each window so when it rained it did not harm the frame or mirror. I have had it for about five years now and always get compliments. I take it in the Fall for safe keeping.

• trish8789
    19 years ago

What I plan to do is use the "Artwork for your Windows" which is window covering film and is self adhering, illuminates by daylight or room light and can provide privacy. There are lots of designs to choose from. I purchased mine at HomeDepot but I've seen them at many places. I don't believe it could be used outside unless, perhaps, it is sheltered well. I plan to hang it in a window with eye-hooks &/or small chains to center it. Have fun. Trish

• craftercheryl
    18 years ago

Try these links http://www.meganandscott.com
    http://www.creationsbycc.com/windows.htm
    You will find lots of ideas to do.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm