Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone made flower markers out of small stones?

Posted by Carrie77 z6 St. Louis MO (peapods@mailaka.net) on
Thu, Sep 2, 04 at 15:47

I was wondering if anyone had done this? I have collected several beautiful stones that are the size of my palm (if not a little smaller) and I'd love to write the name of the plant on them in ink and to also put a tiny graphic or something on them. Then, I want to coat them with something to protect the ink from rain.

I'd love to see pictures if anyone has done something similiar to this!

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone made flower markers out of small stones?

Carrie-I have not used the rocks for plant markers but have painted many in the past.I used the craft acrylics by Plaid,but any acrylic paint will work.You could also use the Patio Paint.I think you could also use the rub-on transfers if the rocks are fairly smooth.You can write and draw on the rocks with permanent markers or paint markers.Whichever you do seal the rocks well with 2 or 3 coats of acrylic sealer.You might want to re-seal them occasionally.Have fun!! I haven't painted on rocks in years but I think I'm going to start again.It's lots of fun.
God bless................Lillie

o

I saw in another string where a woman did this for her Hostas. She used a fatter white paint pen first to spell out the word to give better visual contrast, with a thinner black paint pen on top. When using paint pens, there is no need to seal.

o

Thanks for the ideas and tips!! Please keep them coming. I want to start making markers for my roses first..it'll be a nice winter project :o)

Carrie

o

I like this idea... it reminded me of a book I have on my "Wish List" at Amazon.com... Painting Flowers on Rocks, by Lin Wellford... if you do the flower markers, be sure to post pics... please!!!.. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting Flowers on Rocks book...

o

What a neat idea!! Please post pics!

o

This is sort of a twist.....but how could I use small smooth stones and wire to create a "flower" and then the leaf of some kind could hold the names of flowers in my garden?
What type of adhesive would I use? How could this be done?

o

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 28, 05 at 6:28

I collect hostas and make each a rock marker.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here