Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolnwbg

Craft for fall or simple make and take project

CarolnWbg
20 years ago

Our Master Gardener group is planning to participate in the local Harvest Festival and we are looking for ideas. We will be talking to folks about planting bulbs for spring flowers but would like to include something in the craft line that they would enjoy. Do you know of a fall craft that we could teach that would involve gardening or a really simple, inexpensive make and take project for fall? We surely would appreciate some help for the talented folks on this forum. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments (6)

• penny1947
    20 years ago

How about a wreath with local dried flowers and foilage. They wouldn't have to be big and grapevine wreaths are pretty cheap. I used to do wreaths when I did shows using hemlock cones, pine cones, peach pits, cinnamon apples that I made, acorns and wheat. Then I would add a miniature scarecrow pick and bow.

You could also do little baskets with miniature cinnamon apples and rag homespun "ribbon" or raffia or Pinecone firestarters that are dipped in parrafin.
    Penny

• weedlady
    20 years ago

This may be too late for you, but you could collect seeds from open-pollenated annuals (or even perennials) from your group's demonstration garden, and/or everyone's own gardens and put them into large containers. (Be sure the seeds are dry!) Obviously you would not have to clean the chaff from the seeds as meticulously as commercial seed houses.
    Allow "customers" to use a small spoon or scoop to take what seeds they might want, charging per scoop. Have available small paper envelopes (you can get nice sized ones from hobby stores that sell materials for stamp collecting, etc., or some office supply stores), giving the common & botanical names and the date. Some of you could make up separate sheets beforehand on which are written brief cultural directions for each flower, then cut apart the strips and offer them alongside for those who need that info. Have writing implements available as well as clear tape to seal the envelopes with. Might sound time-consuming but it's really not--and think of the opportunity for all the volunteer hours you all would accrue! CK--an MG from PA :-)

• eileen_
    20 years ago

I made refrigerator magnets out of denim jean pockets (kid size) and added silk fall flowers but you could just as easily use dried pods, leaves and dried grasses. Added some tiny apples, punkins, and a raffia bow. Also laminated some cute fall graphics and glued them to popsicle sticks and inserted. I used the strip magents on the back...

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2110659}}

• Craftybrat
    20 years ago

How about some small scarecrows on stick things for flower pots. A small scarecrow face made with dried poppy seed pods or somthing similar. Hot or cold glue a pin on the back for wear. Hot glue and as soon as it is cool it can be worn. Have fun.

• cindylu
    20 years ago

I saw a neat craft that involved covering styrofoam balls with potpourri or dried herbs - they were pretty in a big bowl, and smelled good, too. Cindy

• CarolnWbg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you for all of your suggestions. The committee took a slightly different turn in the end. We did demos of topiaries made from pumpkins (from Lowes magazine) and for the kids there was an audience participation story about building a scarecrow. Will keep your kind contributions for another time. Thanks, again.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz