Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug__

fireplace firestarters for gifts

gardenbug__
20 years ago

I have read the post about firestarters made with wax, but I have seen,I think in garden mag., some firestarters made with some twigs and herbs with a folded peice of newspaper all tied with raffia. I have done a search and only the wax ones come up, and not many of those, does anyone know what I am talking about and where can I find some projects like these. I am wanting to make some fireplace baskets to sell at fair. Thanks.......

Comments (9)

• weedlady
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have sold bundles of lavender stems tied with raffia as firestarters (sometimes adding an inexpensive Offray ribbon tied in a simple overhand bow, the color appropriate to the season/holiday, etc.) --or they even may be placed among clothing. I had all these dried stems left after stripping the buds from a big pile of lavender for sachets and potpourri and, since the stems (and leaves) are as fragrant as the flowers figured I'd give it a try. People snapped them up! The stems were cut neatly into 8" lengths and the bunches were a little over an inch in diameter--the size of my thumb and forefinger touching (as in giving an "OK" sign!). They went for a dollar apiece--not much, but I had quite a few, plus it was profit from what would otherwise have simply gone into the compost pile! Good luck. CK

• lushoasis
    20 years ago

I am trying an item I saw in Williams-Sonoma. Their aromatic fire bundles are kindling, lavender, rosemary, bay leaves wrapped in homemade paper and raffia. Selling for 3 for $18. I am going to do them with rosemary, kindling, bay leaves, lemon grass, joss paper...no lavender here. Thinking of selling them at the farmer's market for $3-4. each. Let me know what you think...deb

• lizziem62
    20 years ago

i have a book called 'gifts from your garden', it is great, but i forget the author. anyway, she has a few firestarter suggestions. one is similar to your bundles, she suggests any of the dried plant stalks be bundled together (i used scrap yarn to hold them together) then she tied them off with raffia, and she cut her ends nicely (mine were messy - but the did the job). you can then dip them in a scented wax (1/2 way), but i just poured the melted wax over them. it is just to give a nice scent when sitting by the fire, or using to start. the same can be done with pinecones. you can wax your wick, and wynd it around the cone, or scent or dip the cones as well.

there is also a recipe for soaking the pinecones in a drugstore chemical so that when they burn they will burn a bright color. (there are 3 chemicals for 3 different colors, but i would have to look them up for you, just let me know if you want me to).

and finially there is mixing sawdust or shavings with wax and a wick to use as firestarters. (i also make bundles from tree branches)

but the lavendar and other aromatic plants do smell wonderful in firestarter bundles

• gardenbug__
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sorry about posting, my computer crashed and I am having to go to the library, I am going thru a gardenweb withdrawl, anyway, I did a market day here at the school this past Sat. and I made some fire bundles, for some I used tolite paper rolls and filled them with sticks, and bark, dried rosemary, lavender buds, lemongrass, cinn. stix, and dipped some newspaper strips in melted wax and rolled them up in brown craft paper and tied with raffia. I sold all of those for 3 for $2.00. Then I gathered some oak and cedar twigs and bark and laid them all in some red and green tissue paper along with some dried rosemary,mint,lemongrass,cinn stix.,and added a dixie cup, the kind with wax on them, I cut one of those in half and put it in and tied with raffia, I sold a few of those for $1.00. I also used the dixie cups and poured melted cinn. scented wax with small twigs, acorns, pinecone bits,dried herbs, I didnt sell any of them. Firestarters seem to be a hit now that the weather is nippy.

• Canadian_Kimmy
    20 years ago

Hi there! It's been awhile since you started this thread, hope you're still needing suggestions! I used my dead raspberry canes for this craft. They burn hot, and look fabulous when they are all packed in a basket! I used my gloves and hedge clippers to cut down the canes, then cheated by using my dh's chop saw to make the 8 inch lengths. Very quick! Then I tied my bundles (approx. 8 sticks) with raffia, put on some dried sphagnum, and added a few dried berries for color. I also dropped some scented oil on top and let it dry. They look so nice in a basket by the fireplace, and everyone loves them as gifts! The newspaper you suggested sounds good too...I wonder if there is a way to make them into cones and stuff them, making them look like forest nosegays? Any q's ? Email me!
    Kimmy

• gardenbug__
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Does anyone know anything about adding ground spices like, cinn., cloves, pumpkin pie spice, to a fire? Do they burn well or do they smoke?

• cajungardener
    20 years ago

This morning, I found an article on making fireside/Hearth gift baskets. Wasn't sure of the site link so posted it below. I found it on the Better Homes and Garden Site.

Gifts from the Hearth
    This gift basket holds aromatic herbs and pinecones for the fireplace and simmering potpourri for the home. Present your fragrant, handmade gifts in a decorative container big enough to double as a firewood holder. Look for a metal basket like this one pictured, wicker baskets, or aluminum buckets, preferably with a handle. Intersperse your goodies with evergreens. And don't forget to include fireplace matches.

Scented Pinecones
    A cone or two can be tossed into the fireplace on the hot embers. Or, arrange them in a pretty dish for a more subtle, fragrant decoration.

Cost: $25
    Time: An afternoon
    Skill Level: Beginner

What You Need:

About 24 2-x-2-inch pinecones (available at a crafts store)
    1/4 cup (approximately 2 ounces) frankincense powder (available at a crafts store or florist)
    1/2 cup (approximately 4 ounces) myrrh powder (available at a crafts store or florist)
    1/4 cup gold glitter
    White crafts glue
    Cellophane bags or wrap (available at a florist, crafts, or paper store)
    Shallow container, such as a shoe-box lid
    Gold filigree ribbon
    Newspapers

Instructions:
    1. Rinse pinecones with water. Lay cones on an old cookie sheet and place in 300 degree F oven for one hour. Spread cones out on layers of newspaper and set aside to complete drying. (They'll close tightly when wet and fully open when dry.)2. Blend frankincense, myrrh, and glitter in a shallow container. Dab glue on tips of pinecone petals and on bottom of cone. Roll cone in mixture of powder and glitter. Set cones aside to dry.3. Package a handful of dried cones in cellophane to give as gifts. Tie bag shut with gold filigree ribbon. Attach a label with a holiday greeting and instructions for using the pinecones.

Dried Herb Bundle
    For a burst of delicate fragrance, add an herbal bundle when starting a fire in the fireplace. The lovely bundles also make a fragrant decoration for the hearth, or put them in a basket beside an entryway.

Cost: $15
    Time: Under an hour

What You Need:

Dried stems of aromatic herbs (available at crafts or herb stores)
    6-inch cinnamon sticks (available at crafts or herb stores)
    Raffia
    Cone-shaped holder (available at a crafts store)

Instructions:
    1. Strip dry leaves off dried bunches of herbs by sliding your hand down stem. Gather a small bunch of stems and tie the bottom with a strand of raffia.

2. Tuck a cinnamon stick into the bunch.

3. Stuff two or three bunches into a decorative cone-shaped holder fashioned from stiff paper or a holder bought at a crafts store.

Simmering Potpourri
    A ribboned tin or cellophane bag is a festive way to present potpourri. The scented mix can be used in a potpourri burner (use 1 tablespoon) or simmered in a pan on the stove (1/4 cup potpourri in 2 cups water, set on lowest heat. Don't boil the pan dry)

Cost: $30
    Time: Under an hour

What You Need:

Orange peel (cut into 1/4-x-2-inch strips and air-dry until crisp)
    Cellophane wrap or bags or airtight tins (available at crafts stores)
    1/4 cup each of dried bay leaves, cedar tips, sage leaves, rosemary leaves, lavender leaves, marjoram blossoms, juniper berries, cinnamon sticks (broken into pieces), and dried orange peel. Many of these ingredients can be found at a florist or at a crafts or herb store.

Instructions:
    1. Blend ingredients (makes about 2 cups).

2. Package in plastic or cellophane bags, or store in an airtight tin and decorate with ribbon or string.

• myla1981
    16 years ago

hello sir!

We are specialized in hand-carved stone products, such as stone fireplace mantel, garden statue, bust, water fountain, gazebo, table & bench, animal statue, decorative ball and flower pot & vase stone tile , kitchen & bathroom stone products , construction stuff , natural slate , cobble stone, paving stone gravestone and monument urns pet memorials

welcome order !

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace mantel

• Ina Plassa_travis
    16 years ago

:) as kids, we learned to mix borax and sawdust, pour wax from melted candle stubs over it, and pack it loosely into muffin pans to cool - then you just popped them out, and lit one corner of the sawdust cake.

I've seen similar thing done with bundles of dried herbs, cattails, twigs, birch or Blue Gum bark, or paper rolled up and twisted...the variation's really only limited by your materials, and how fancy you want to make them.

I think the trick to making ones that work is to allow for good airflow - a solid cake of waxy sawdust burns about as well as a pencil, once the paint burns off...but give it some 'fluff' and it works great.

Sponsored