Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! mildew on my grapevine!!

Posted by gardenbug__ texas z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 03 at 8:53

I am getting ready to do a market days with my crafts and my friend and I cut some grapevine and made some wreaths, they have white mildew on them, I have soaked them in soapy water and brushed them and sprayed with water. the stuff is not coming off as easy as I expected. Does anyone have any ideas to loosen this stuff? I also have a question about making a certian wreath idea I came up with, I want to make on that people can use outside, and I was thinking of a birdfeeder wreath. I thought I would spread glue( I think I have read that you can use Elmers)on a wood cut out and cover with birdseed ,then I thought about using a twig for this and spreading the glue on the tips of twig and dipping into birdseed and attaching this to the wreath. Has anyone ever done this kind of project?? I would appreciate any ideas. ....thanks.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! mildew on my grapevine!!

Hi. I wouldn't suggest glue for the birds to eat. That wouldn't be very good for them. I read somewhere, I think it was here, to use gelatin or lard. Peanut butter might work.

I wouldn't have any idea how to clean mildew off the vines. Did you try bleach?

o
RE: Help!! mildew on my grapevine!!

Soaking the vine in bleach will kill the mildew. THen you have to hang it in an open sunny area to dry out completely or the mildew could return.

I too wouldn't use glue of any kind. Peanut butter will work better than gelatin or lard b/c it won't melt and run if the sun hits it. THe birds can also get nourishment from the peanut butter. You can also fill little squares of nylon tulle (netting) with seed and tie those around the wreath. The birds can get the seed through the holes in the netting.
Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here