Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vignewood_gw

bird seed wreaths

vignewood
16 years ago

Hi, I have been making bird seed wreaths to use as gifts this holiday season. I found the recipe in a garden web thread and it worked very well. Here is my question to any of you who have used these. Do they hold up outside in the rain? Do they make a mess if hung on a door? Where is the best place to hang them? They are very pretty and inexpensive to make even though they are pricey in the shops. Any info you can give me will be much appreciated. vignewood.

Comments (4)

• amyevt
    16 years ago

I am trying to find the recipe to make birdseed wreaths with gelatine with my kids as holiday gifts. Does anyone have the recipe?

• vignewood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the recipe. Make sure you dry them out well and don't leave them in the molds too long or they will MOLD. Store in paper bags.

Birdseed Wreath

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 1/4 ounce pkgs. Knox unflavored gelatin
    8 cups birdseed

Boil 1 1/2 cup water.
    Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl. Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
    Add the boiling water and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
    Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
    Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid.
    Spoon the mixture into a greased bundt pan and put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
    Remove the wreath from the mold by inverting the pan and tapping along the bottom. The pan may need to warm to room temperature before the wreath will come out.
    Allow the wreath to dry overnight or longer if necessary. (I found it needs to be on a cooling rack to let the air circulate.)
    Use several strands of raffia to form a loop to hang the wreath.

• robinmadison
    13 years ago

Birdseed Wreath

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 1/4 ounce pkgs. Knox unflavored gelatin
    8 cups birdseed
    1/8 cup flour

Boil 1 1/2 cup water.
    Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl. Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
    Add the boiling water and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
    Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
    Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid. Add flour to thicken,
    Scoop the mixture with your hands and press into grape vine wreath. Decorate with ribbon and cranberries.
    Allow the wreath to dry overnight outside laying flat.
    Use several strands of raffia to form a loop to hang the wreath.

PS Keep outside in the cold weather. If you are in a warmer climate...add elmer's glue to mixture.

• slogardener123
    11 years ago

No birds are coming to my wreath-it has been up for several weeks. Any suggestions? It has a red bow on it. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdseed wreaths

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm