Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostarasta

Should I try this?

hostarasta
19 years ago

I wasn't sure which forum to go to, but yours looks like it could be the one. I am decorating a garden in front of my house for autumn/halloween. It is whimsical/tasteful and eclectic. I love decorating my garden. It's like being a kid again. I could use some extra money.... Not everybody is crafty/artsy, but they'd like a fun garden. Do you think I should put up a sign that says, "Let's Decorate Your Garden" and then include my phone number? Budget in mind, I would use the client's decorations and add any as necessary. I would go with their style/taste. They could help out to the extent they want to.

I have nothing to lose, right? Your thoughts, please.

Marlene in Michigan

Comments (4)

• Craftybrat
    19 years ago

If ya try it, it might surprise you, either how good it is received, or it may be that nobody wants to this year....but if ya don't try how will ya know?!? It might depend on where you live, if anyone sees or not. Also if it just gets trashed or stolen.

• plantladyott
    19 years ago

I'm in the business of doing exactly that. My clients are Property management companies, shopping malls and building owners. I'm sure there is a residential market (we focus on commercial clients only) for the same thing. These are people usually found in upscale neighbourhoods who are to busy making money and socializing to do it themselves. You'll need to do up a flyer and have a mini photo album of sample pictures of your work. Go for it! YOu've got nothing to lose and may I say that this could lead to Christmas winter arrangements outside like pine boughs mixed with dogwood and berries etc.

• kathyannd
    19 years ago

I agree! GREAT idea!! And don't limit yourself to just Halloween.. try general fall themes, winter (snowmen, holiday, etc.), spring (Easter, maybe) themes, patriotic themes, etc.

I decorate my own garden but it is a tremendous amount of work and I know a lot of people who have neither the time nor the creative skill to do so and would love to be able to have that done. If they can afford to have their lawn mowed and shrubs pruned, they can afford something like this, so I would give flyers to the local lawn services to share wtih their customers.

If you have success, you can buy decorations at discount after season for the following year... but here I am, getting ahead of myself, and planning for the second season before you've even begun! Hope this works for you. It's a terrific concept.

• secondhandrose2
    18 years ago

Sorry I found this thread so late. I'm usually on another forum, but I discovered this one and it is great. A few years ago my husband got layed off from his job, and a friend of his offered him some work in his new business doing exactly what you are describing. They do decorating for holidays throughout the year in residential or commercial yards. Usually in the ritzier neighborhoods, but they have done some out in the country, too. At Christmas, one lady was so impressed by how well the crew did on the outside, she paid extra to have them come inside to decorate her enormously tall tree, mantle and bannister. They also come back and take everything down and either box it up for you to store, or they store it for you. Good luck on your creative venture.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor