Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirldeb2

Share fall & Halloween outdoor decor!!

FlowergirlDeb2
22 years ago

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their creative decorating for Fall and Halloween! Do any of you sort-of "mix" up harvest decor and Halloween?? How about corn stalks- what creative ties are being put around the middles?? I gathered milkweed pods for the seeds for my butterly garden, and recalled reading in a post about using the pods for crafts. I decided to spray paint the pods white, and glue goggly eyes on turning them into little fuzzy ghost decorations, which I plan on attaching to my corn stalks!!

Comments (24)

• Okla_gal
    22 years ago

I spray painted an old wheelbarell w/several fall colors, making it look real muted, then I turn it on it's side and put pumpkins falling out of it w/ wooden ghost all around, some ghost have small pumpkins painted in their arms and they look like they are stealing pumpkins from the patch.also I have straw under all the pumpkins. then after halloween I remove the ghost and add mums all inside and around the barrell and a turkey or scarecrow.sometimes I add hay shocks behing the barrell.

• sbaybahbay_aol_com
    22 years ago

i saw a cute scarecrow a lady at work bought for $15. i made 4 for $20 and shared with my daughter and friends. you take any size straw hat.hot glue long strands of raffia across top of crown [with crown facing you], bend the brim down on top toward the crown/face.staple or hot glue this down. glue fall leaves,acorns or whatever you have to cover staple/glue.add googley eyes and a nose,i used small plastic gords for the nose, and use any color felt for any style of mouth you like. add a ready made bow or fashion your own from fall colored ribbon/fabric. i used small suction cups with hooks to hang on window on kitchen door. she's very cute and i call her 'Hattie' the scarecrow...hope my directions are easy to follow sorry i haven't got a pic to share.just email me if you have any ?'s....clutterbug in ga.
    p.s. i got supplies at hobby lobby and suction cups at dollar general 12 for $1 great deal.

• croon_kabelfoon_nl
    22 years ago

Hi,

I live in Holland and we don't have a Halloween tradition. I would like to decorate my garden. I have pumkins but wat can I do more to make a halloween garden.

• michelle73034
    21 years ago

lol... i saw a witch, the kind that wrap around a tree to make it look like they smashed into it.. there was a sign under it with orange and yellow mums that said "don't drink and fly".. i'm putting one out in my yard this october...

• Gardengirl
    21 years ago

I was startled to see this post in May, but I see it started last fall. I'm so proud of my rake scarecrow, I'll post again. I know many have seen it already (sorry).

Here is a link that might be useful: A rake and a rambler

• FlowergirlDeb2
    Original Author
    21 years ago

That's adorable!!!

• Debra_J_Payne
    21 years ago

Since I raise fall mums (37,000 of them) I love deocrating my yard in the fall. I use bales of straw, corn stalks, loads of pumpkins. I usually back the arrangement with sections of split rail fencing and the use the mums along with these things. I have artifical black birds that go great with the rest of the things. I am also lucky enough to be a farm girl with loads of old plows and milk cans that go great with everything. Indian corn and gourds also work in great. Only one problem with what I usually do. My cat thinks he has found an easy meal and eats a couple of my black birds every year.

• TwinOaksFarm
    21 years ago

Gardengirl I love your rake! Thanks for posting the pic.
    Connie

• rosie_ga
    21 years ago

Great scarecrow. Fall will be here b4 we know it.

• Gardengirl
    21 years ago

Thanks Connie and Rosie. Last fall, I found a child's bamboo rake (Martha Stewart brand at KMart) and made a little girl with long raffia hair... but never took a pic. Thinking about adding a mama rake this year. LOL. Warning: Homemade scarecrows are much more expensive than store-bought versions.

• thymewarp13
    21 years ago

Fall and Halloween still seems a long way off as I'm still planting my containers and only my herbs, lettuce, and snap peas are producing as yet, but I found one of my pics of seasonal decor from last year. As you can see in the picture of the front porch display, there is a mixture of harvest and Halloween. I also love to use mums in front and out back to add pockets of bright color to the naturally occurring fall foliage. On my front door I hang a decorative wooden "Autumn Welcome" sign that I purchased last year. (It's something I could have made myself if I could just budget my time a little better.)

Thymewarp

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall front porch decor

• FlowergirlDeb2
    Original Author
    21 years ago

What a pretty photo!:) I was surprised to see a response to this post from WAYYY back! Thanks for sharing!! :)

• thymewarp13
    21 years ago

Thanks FlowergirlDeb2--

Since I started visiting the Garden Web Forums less than a month ago, even the old posts from WAYYY back are new to me. I'm having a good time looking through them.

~Thymewarp13

• eileenpatocka
    21 years ago

I have a new garden center and I'm looking for ways to decorate for fall....I love the ideas for the rake and the fall decor photo. Any more ideas for me?

• spunky_MA_z6
    21 years ago

I saw a cute one in a magazine...I think it was Family Fun but I'm not sure.

They carved pumpkins with happy faces and instead of placing the top stem piece back on they placed a pot of mums in the cavity. You are supposed to spray the pumpkin to seal it so it doesn't rot. The mums look like hair, and cascading on front stairs it looked adorable and festive, especially with all different size pumpkins and all different color mums.

I have also seen displays of small pumpkins set across the piece of moulding that is just above the front door..(what's that called?...a brace?)

It looks neat to see pumpkins up high like that.

• Lindy_B
    21 years ago

In an old l942 magazine American Home, I saw decor ideas. One was a tall pole with the pumkin stuck on top. Then black and orange streamers. simple and different now in 2002!! LOL

• katiedoodle115
    21 years ago

I have a carport (who in the South doesn't?) attached to my house. I refuse to let my hubby put a car in there though because I use it like an outdoor room. I put a pretty light fixture in the ceiling and I got an old, not-good-enough-for-indoor oriental rug to cover part of the poured cement floor. Where we live it's between two mountains so the ground is really hilly. The front part of the carport is at ground level and it's about 2 1/2' off the ground at the back side, which contains the door to my mud room. It's really cute and cozy out there. I have a rustic loveseat and an early American end table out there. I use four strings of Hallmark Boo Blinker pumpkin lights to string around the outside edges of the room and the two support pillars I cover with cornstalks. Then I put pumpkins and three big (10") pots of mums at the bottom of each cornstalk pillar. I buy all different color mums. I think it looks nice with the variety of colors instead of sticking to certain ones. Then I get two bales of hay and use one to make a scarecrow (and my hubby's old jeans and flannel shirt) and the other for the scarecrow to sit on. His head is a pumpkin. I also have other cute little Halloweenie decorations sitting around and then after Halloween is over I bring in the ones that are very obviously Halloween and leave the rest out there till Thanksgiving. (Don't get me started on the rest of the house we'll be here forever!) Then like a couple of big overgrown kids on Thanksgiving weekend my mother-in-law and I spend the weekend taking down the fall stuff and putting up the beginning of the Christmas decorations. :)

• thymewarp13
    21 years ago

Katiedoodle-- It sounds like you do a great job of dressing up your carport. I can see why you don't want to let your hubby use it for parking the car. I was able to visualize all your Halloween/harvest decor and it sounds great. I don't suppose you have any pictures you could share with us?

~~Thymewarp13

• katiedoodle115
    21 years ago

I'm afraid if he parks the car in there he'll get grease on the rug! LOL!
    Unfortunately I don't have a scanner or digital camera yet. I'm saving up to get one but something else always comes up that demands the money. Hopefully Santa will bring me one. It will be too late for this year but if I do get a camera for Christmas I'll take pics of the Christmas decorations and show everyone. :)

• CBParker
    21 years ago

I copied an idea out of a magazine. Cut a round circle and paint a face on it. Attach a dowel stick to the back. Glue an old straw had on. Stick this in the top of your pumpkin. Make a sign that says what ever you want on it, mine says "Happy Fall Ya'll" and attache garden gloves to it with hot glue. Then I use straight pins and attach the cuff of the gloves to the sides of the pumpkin. I cut out little black boot looking feet, attached a spiral wire to them, stick them in the bottom of the pumpkin, and then you have a little pumpkin girl to sit on your porch steps.

• simmonsbearhugs
    20 years ago

Could anyone send me a picture of how to make a face for my scarecrow. I have it almost made with adult clothes, but don't know how to finish the face. Thanks.
    Billie "Pigue" Simmons
    Byhalia, MS

• grittymitts
    20 years ago

I found some Halloween vinyl placemats at the discount store after the holiday several years ago for a quarter; pumpkins, ghost with "BOO" etc. Glued dowels on the back. I just push into flower pots, the ground & haybales. Since they're flat they're easy to store. Have a whole collection of these now for different holidays
    Suzi

• amberflamme
    20 years ago

Here's what we did this year. Links at the bottom go to stuff both outside and in. (Be sure to check out the "odds and ends" link for my Williamsburg Gate Closer.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Halloween decorations

• jeanonly_one
    18 years ago

Had to bump this up. Oakdancers decorations are so neat!!!!!!!!!!!!. Wish Id seen them sooner.

Sponsored