Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Holiday angel

penny1947
20 years ago

I found a craft in my latest issue of Lowe's Creative Ideas booklet that you can use maple seeds for!!! I have adapted the directions as their instructions were rather lengthy and used materials that they sell.

It is an angel made out of sisal (or any kind of cording that is glued and wrapped around a wooden armiture to form a cone (I decided a styrofoam cone would work better). I also think that gold plastic canvas cord would look good for wrapping the cone. Wood veneer is used for the wings but I thought the the maple seed whirligigs would be perfect for wings (cut at the base of the seed so you have two pieces). They would give it that feathery look. Cut out a piece of poster board in the shape of the wings. Start at the points and glue them and layer them all the way to the center point of the poster board wings. Then you would pin or glue the wings to the back of the cone. The halo/head is made of copper wire shaped to form a circle and the ends poked into the top of the cone. You would glue the angel to a round wood cutout available at most craft stores for less than a dollar. Here is a picture but use the link below if it doesn't show up. You could even use left over lace instead of the cording to wrap the cone. You could also make the cone out of poster board and use it as a tree topper.

Now that I have all my whirlygigs raked up I find a use for them...go figure.

Penny

{{gwi:2110667}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2110667}}

Comments (2)