Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday angel

Posted by penny1947 z6 westernNY (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 13, 03 at 9:27

I found a craft in my latest issue of Lowe's Creative Ideas booklet that you can use maple seeds for!!! I have adapted the directions as their instructions were rather lengthy and used materials that they sell.
It is an angel made out of sisal (or any kind of cording that is glued and wrapped around a wooden armiture to form a cone (I decided a styrofoam cone would work better). I also think that gold plastic canvas cord would look good for wrapping the cone. Wood veneer is used for the wings but I thought the the maple seed whirligigs would be perfect for wings (cut at the base of the seed so you have two pieces). They would give it that feathery look. Cut out a piece of poster board in the shape of the wings. Start at the points and glue them and layer them all the way to the center point of the poster board wings. Then you would pin or glue the wings to the back of the cone. The halo/head is made of copper wire shaped to form a circle and the ends poked into the top of the cone. You would glue the angel to a round wood cutout available at most craft stores for less than a dollar. Here is a picture but use the link below if it doesn't show up. You could even use left over lace instead of the cording to wrap the cone. You could also make the cone out of poster board and use it as a tree topper.

Now that I have all my whirlygigs raked up I find a use for them...go figure.
Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: sisal angel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday angel

very creative!

o
RE: Holiday angel

It may also be something good to let the kids help with. They can make their own special ornament. I was at A.C. Moore yesterday picking up some sweatshirts and t shirts and I started thinking about letting my stepdaughter make some. Instead of copper wire for the head, you could let children use the gold or silver chenille stems (pipe cleaners) or use a wooden bead with a small piece of dowel in the hole stuck down into the top of the cone and glued in place. If you have any left over wall paper around, you could use that for the cone. I would put two layers together to make it sturdier. If you don't have maple seeds, you can use feathers sold in craft dept. for about a dollar a package. THis could keep the kids busy for quite a while especially on days when it is too cold or nasty to go outside and they say they have nothing to do.
Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here