Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting a gourd

Posted by Steve349 none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 14:40

Hope someone can help me..I want to make a bowl out of one of my gourds. What is the best way to make sure you get a straight line so the bowl doesn't look lopsided?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting a gourd

I always place my gourd on the countertop, and while holding a pencil on a ruler to steady it--turn the gourd around. the pencil then marks an even circle on the top in relationship to how the gourd sits on a table. I then just use an retractable knife to cut it. Many tiny jabs on an angle (with the low er edge facing the inside, so the lid can be easily used as a top again. I usually up 3 grooves in it (2 near each other and one on the other side) so the lid can lock in place and not fall off. Check out the pumpkin, squash forum or Welburn farms for ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here