Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymommy_gw

Rosemary Branches for Garland

kittymommy
21 years ago

I saw a craft project on tv today using Rosemary tied together to form a garland. The instructions were to use the longest Rosemary branches that you can locate(they used branches that were at least 3 feet). Any suggestions on where to locate long Rosemary branches? I only have one very small rosemary planted in a window box and I have never seen just the branches for sale any place locally.

Comments (7)

• handmayyd
    21 years ago

My goodness, that must be a TREE (lol) I want to make some wreaths, etc but hesitate to buy herbs at the grocery store (the only place I seem to find them and they are too expensive to decorate with) I wonder if a florist would have a source?

• notacontessa
    21 years ago

I dug up my creeping rosemary plant today and brought it indoors. Some of the branches on it are 18" long. It's hardy in zones 8 to 10, and I'll bet it will grow to at least 3' long there. It would be beautiful growing down over a wall or from a large hanging basket.

I hope I can keep it alive indoors over the winter. I planted it in a 10" pot. It's touchy, doesn't like wet feet. But it was just gorgeous, it had just finished blooming, and the cold had not effected it yet, so I decided to give it a try. It would not live through the winter here outdoors in zone 6. I plan to spray it occasionally to keep it from drying out, though.

• vinton
    21 years ago

Hi gang. If you do not grow the rosemary yourself, it may cost you a fortune to purchase enough for a garland. Out here in northern CA, (zone 15) it grows into 4 and 5 foot bushes, enough for a hedge. I do however make wreaths during the holidays every year with it. try contacting your local nursery, maybe they have a one or two and a half gallon pot of Rosemary. If you buy the herbs in a store, you could make small wreaths to hang on your doorknob, it will still scent the room. with rosemary, a little goes a long way. Cheers!

• terisw
    21 years ago

Where do you get rosemary? I looked for seed last spring but it wasn't available here. Is our climate too cold for it?

• TXDana
    20 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I am new to this link and like to read previous messages.

I am lucky enough to be able to grow rosemary outdoors all year long and I am interested in making rosemary wreaths for doors. Can anyone give me some step by step directions? Do I have to have a base or do I just shape the branches into a circle? How would I keep the wreath looking fresh?

I keep telling my husband I am going to start making wreaths as we have tons and tons (yes, I am exaggerating) of grape vines. We've lived here 5 years and I haven't yet made one wreath. Oh, well, maybe I can start with rosemary wreaths!!

Thanks for any direction with this.

Dana

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

:) I made door swags for all my friends one year- they use rosemary as a groundcover around the BART train stations in the SF Bay area- and yes, they can get 6 or more feet long... everyone back east was stunned by this bounty (I even specified not to cook with them, but people still loved them!)

working with it's like anything else- base or no base is up to you, I usually don't use them, but use silver pipecleaners to tie them together as I wrap them into a circle- then spiral a ribbin around the whole thing.

• jabee
    20 years ago

I've never seen rosemary grown from seed. Usually you can propagate by pinning a branch to the ground and waiting for roots to develop. And yes, it does get at least three feet long, depends on what type of rosemary and where you live.

This year I set a small block of Oasis foam in a tall white bird cage I already had, stuck rosemary into it, letting some reach out through the sides, hide the foam with moss and topped with a white dove. Looks great on the mantel with the grapevine wreath and a fat white candle! Happy Holidays from Texas Y'all!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz