Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade bird seed cakes

Posted by DrFruitCake none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 17:29

got inspired by an email from Burpee Seeds showing seed cake in the form of Snowmen and Christmas trees. These seem to be similar to seed bells and such where the binding is dry and not fat based. One site talked about egg whites as the binder. Does any have experience in this ? Tahnks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade bird seed cakes

hope picture makes it now

o

I have made birdseed cakes with a recipe of flour & water & karo & seeds. The first ones were perfect. Then when I made some later, they turned whitish before I even got them out and the birds wouldn't eat them. Actually looked a little moldy. Anyone know why?

o

Hi! I'm not sure what Karo is... but maybe they were whitish & a little moldy looking from having a bit too much of one of your ingredients in it? Did you make sure that you used the same measurements & same freshness of ingredients?

I'd love to know the actual reason!

I recently received 2KG of bird seed free w/ my purchase at the local garden shop, and I would love to make seed cakes for the birds in our backyard! The wind has been so high as of late that I feel like if I fill up my feeders the seed will just blow away and I won't get to watch them enjoy it!

Let me know if you figure out why this has happened! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here