Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to string chilies for a swag?

Posted by Quirkpod 7 Lewisville NC (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 20, 04 at 18:46

How is it done? They're so lovely when they dry. I doubt I will use them for cooking, but sure are pretty. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to string chilies for a swag?

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 23, 04 at 13:50

I've just used needle and fishing line (clear plastic so it doesn't show). Run needle thru top of pepper or thru center, depending on your preference. Hang in warm dry airy place to dry. josh

o

it's easiest to do when they're at the 'leathery' phase- not fresh, but not crunchk, either. and it really is just like stringing popcorn- but if they're hot peppers, wearing gloves and remembering not to rub your eyes does matter!

o

Do you mean a Rista? Martha Stewart has step by step instructions on her web site

o

A search at that website didnt turn up anything. Nothing for Rista, nothing for chilies except an unrelated recipe. Please advise.

o

Well, i can tell you how i used to do them. worked at a fruit stand- i'd use the same chiles they put out for folks to buy in bulk. Same process, for all the different size chiles.

Start w/ some type of rustic looking string- we used cheapie stuff from walmart, but make sure it's not the thin kind of string- needs to be kinda thick.

Sit down w/ your box of chiles and a bag of those small rubber bands. Rubber band together 3-6 (depending on size of the chiles) peppers. When you think you have enough bunches, hang your string up on something- it needs to just hang down, then you'll form a loop at the bottom- then you put a bunch or 2 in- use the loose string to hold the chiles to the string. Then stack the next bundle of chiles on, and keep tying. on and on, till you're happy with it. Make sure you do it pretty thick, cuz as the peppers dry, they'll shrink up some, and loose some of their width (anotehr reason to use the rustic looking string- you may see some string after hte peppers dry completely). Top with some of that raffia, and you're done.

HOpe i was clear on the instructions, it's been at least 7 or 8 years since i've done them. My favorites were the anaheims- big peppers, but boy were they gorgeous when they were turning from green to orange/yellow/peach to red.

Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here