Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymommy_gw

Drying Lemons & Orange Slice for Potpourri ?

kittymommy
18 years ago

I've purchased potpourri that contains lemon, apple or orange slices. Most of the instructions I have located state to either use a dehydrator or use the oven on a low setting for several hours. I used the oven method on 100 and the slices eventually turn brown. The potpourri from the stores looks like fresh slices without any brown or burnt appearence. Does anyone know of another method or is there some type of preservative that I should be using?

Comments (2)

• sylky00
    18 years ago

It isn't necessary to use anything on citrus. It sounds like they are overcooking. Have you checked the temp. of your oven with an oven thermometer? The only other thing I can think of is that the fruit is not fresh. Another option-use the peel instead. I've seen garlands & potpourri decorated with peel shapes, stars, etc. cut out and stuck together with cloves. I love the look of dried fruit, but feel guilty about decorating with food when there are so many hungry people in the world.

• bluestarrgallery
    18 years ago

Hello,

I have a dehydrator with about 4 trays I bought at WalMart that has an adjustable setting. I put the setting on fruits. I just dehydrated lemons, limes, oranges, tomatoes, pomegranites, apples and strawberries and they all came out looking great - definitely not brown. I did not use any type of preservative. I slice through the fruit as thin as I can but still having a complete slice to speed up the dehydration. The strawberries shriveled up to almost nothing - but they are cute. I notice the dehydrator has a fan that circulates the air - this may be the difference between an oven and a dehydrator. I am using the dried slices whole to place on dried wreaths and topiaries as an accent.

Where I live there is lots of fruit that falls to the ground or is fed to cattle (probably what the growers consider seconds - maybe a blemish on the outside, etc.) so I can get it inexpensive enough to make it worth while to dehydrate. Today I am going to try kiwi and more apples and pomegranites. I wish I could find some persimmons but I think they are out of season now.

A few years back I dried tomatoes on screens in the sun in the summer. I thought they would be loaded with flies but they weren't. It's not warm enough this time of year to dry outside though. Dehydrated tomatoes cost a fortune in the grocery store and they are really good in salads - the roma tomatoes dry very well because they don't have as much liquid content.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES