Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making Clay Ornaments?

Posted by CapeHeart z6ccMA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 0:50

Hello

Do any of you make clay ornaments? What recipe do you use, how long do you bake them for, also the type of paint and sealant? What type of treasures do you add? Any cool finds you have added to you ornaments?

Any pics?

Many Thanks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making Clay Ornaments?

I have made many of them using the flour, salt and water recipe and cut them out using cookie cutters. I use my dehydrator (when I put them in the oven on very low they puffed in some areas). I paint them with acrylic crafts paints (the cheap 44 cent bottles), add glitter and seal with triple glaze (spray can). If I could remember to get a battery for the digital camera I could e-mail some photos to you. Very easy and very fun!!!!

o

When I use salt dough I add 1 tbsp of veg oil to make the dough more plyable. If it is a rolled one I use a fine needle and prick it all over. This usually controls the puffing from happening. Plus if you paint it, the paint will usually cover the hole. I made personalized gingerbread, ie. gingerbread ballerina, ginger bread karate kid. I thought they were cute. Gave them as a gift and someone asked if my 4 yr made it. ha ha.

o

I use Sculpey clay. My grandkids and I made ornaments for Christmas this year. Follow directions that come with the clay. Paint with acrylic or enamel paint. We imbedded pieces of pottery, beads, etc., in the clay before baking. You can decoupage pictures or pieces of fabric to your ornaments after baking. Use your imagination, get real creative, and have fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden & Flower Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here