Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

not sure if right forum, but i need suggestions

earthlydelights
19 years ago

good morning everyone

we recently had a pet that died and have buried his ashes in a special garden created just for him. i have this poem that i would like to print out and place in the garden. i believe i can frame it, but i am not sure how to seal it to protect it from the elements. does anyone have any suggestions, or point me in the right (forum) direction?

thanks kindly.

Comments (7)

• Josh
    19 years ago

Probably the easiest would be to glue the poem to a wooden plaque, then seal the entire thing in something used as a clear preservative for wooden boats. I think it's called Marine Varnish...ask at your local boat place or paint store. Might need to renew the coating each year to keep it weatherproof.

Our local animal rescue place has a small pet cemetary. I've seen very touching displays like a pet's favorite toy sealed up in a capped gallon jar, along with notes and photos. Pets really do wind themselves around our hearts, don't they? josh

• Craftybrat
    19 years ago

You could also use resin. I don't remember the brand name I used, but it is sold in the paint dept. of hardware stores, it is in 2 separit bottles and when they are mixed they become very hard plastic. Mount your paper onto a board, do one side first then the other side after. Being careful of drips on the front. This stuff takes a couple of days to fully harden so place it somewhere where it won't get mussed up and where it won't smell ya out of house and home. Once it is done it is very secure. I am talking about the stuff that was used in the 70's on the table tops of pizza parlors.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you both for your suggestions.
    i have used that two part resin once before on a craft project i did many, many years ago.
    i really like the idea of sealing a special toy.
    we didn't have this dog for very long, he was sick when we got him (and we didn't know it). he was really something, with such a unique personality...and will be in our hearts forever always missed.

thanks again. happy holidays.

• kathyannd
    19 years ago

The marine varnish is also called spar varnish and that will do a nice job for you on either wood or metal. Three years ago I painted our mailbox with our latex house paint and used plain old Folk Art acrylic paints to paint a really nice design as well as our name and house number over the house paint. Then I put three coats of spar varnish, letting it dry thoroughly between coats. I have not done a thing to it since and it looks as beautiful as the day I first put it out. We live in New England so it gets rain, hail, sleet and snow in big doses in addition to heat, huimidity, baking in the sun, and freezing gale force winds.

So sorry about the loss of your beloved pet. Just a thought.... what might also be nice would be a plaster of paris "stepping stone" that you could paint or "etch' the poem onto. Whatever you choose, I know there are a lot of techniques that will work well.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

or you could use a wood burner thingy you can get in a craft store and then seal it with polyurethane. hard to get curves going though

Get a copper plate thats flexable enough and then ummm use a pencil or something to write on that and nail that to something.

paint on a tile? or a rock with durable paint.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    19 years ago

i haven't been back here in a while, and i thank everyone for their fine suggestions.

happy new year !

• lbmoore
    19 years ago

You could also make a grave marker and have the poem engraved on a piece of steel and glue to marker. The marker is made out of a one-inch flat solid concrete block, and a landscape block (the one I use if placed
    upright looks like a small tombstone). You glue it all together with Liquid Nails. It will cost you less than $20.

Here's a link to a photo of what Im talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: GRAVE MARKERS

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource