Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txdana

dryer lint

TXDana
19 years ago

What are some uses for dryer lint? I hate throwing it away and would like to re-use.

Thanks

Dana

Comments (9)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

:) there's an artist named Hannah Wilke who's done some serious sculpture in dryer lint...

well, if you can call her gig 'serious'...she also works with chewing gum.

you can use it for wadding to stuff small pillows and stuff- but make sure that the fabric you use is tight-woven, or it will become a big 'pounce' ball (ie shedding lint fragments every time you touch it)

I've seen it mixed in to papermaking slurry, mixed with glue and used as a filler/sculpting medium, cut into shapes and used like felt in shadowboxes (I think they were sprayed to hold them together)...

I've also seen it just left out for the birds to line nests with.

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/011112g.cfm

there's quite a bit out there for its use.
    this was a fairly decent site. although she doesn't recommend using it to stuff toys, due to it being flammable.

• LeslieAnne_westTX
    19 years ago

chinacat_sunflower said: "I've also seen it just left out for the birds to line nests with."

Please don't do that... dryer lint is porous... in wet weather, it becomes soggy and dries into a hard mass, providing no insulation to a nesting bird or baby birds... dryer lint may also contain chemicals and residue left from detergents and fabric softeners... Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on what to do with it... I just wanted to warn you about leaving it for the birds to use... a lot of people do that, but that doesn't make it right...
  • wolfcub
    19 years ago

Hi Dana The best thing I have come up with for dryer lint is to add it to my compost bin I also dispose of my vacume bag offering that way. We try to recycle as much stuff as we can at our place. Marj

• lbmoore
    19 years ago

DRYER LINT "PAPER MACHE"
    3 c. dryer lint
    2/3 c. flour
    2 c. water
    Mix water and lint together in a large saucepan, stirring well. Slowly add flour, mixing well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture holds together, forming peaks. Pour out onto several layers of newspaper to cool. Use mixture over a base, such as a box, balloon or bottle, spreading like paper mache. Dry 4 to 5 days. Store unused air tight. Keeps only 4 to 5 days.

Here's an idea to use the dryer sheets:

Mock Mulberry Paper
    1 used cloth dryer softener sheet
    Choice of ink color
    cellophane
    water

First, dampen the dryer sheet with water.
    Then roll it with the ink color of your choice using your brayer.
    Then you may crumple up cellophane wrap and lightly sponge the colored
    sheet with gold ink or another complimentary color.
    You may wet the edges to fray.
    The texture is great.
    It doesn't tear as easily as mulberry paper either.

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

Pack tightly in empty cardboard toilet paper rolls for use as fire starters in a campfire, in the grill, or in the fireplace. Any chemical residue from detergents will still be better than lighter fluid.

Feed through electric fan to provide the "dust" of a long deserted mansion in high school drama production--and then spend the next two days vacuuming.

If it's wholly natural fiber, then it goes into the compost. Otherwise, it goes into the trash. (Hey, garbagemen need their jobs, too.)

Ray

• oregoncrafter
    19 years ago

If you know anyone that has rabbits, it's great to add to their nesting boxes. Sometimes the moms don't pull enough hair and the lint adds extra warmth. We saved many litters this way when my kids were in 4-H.

• Irmgaard
    19 years ago

To cover the holes in the bottom of a pot...there isn't much that I haven't used...old plastic bags, thick news paper and yes, dryer lint.
    It all works.

• gerdonolson
    18 years ago

Dryer lint makes a really good fire started for campfires

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting