Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweet2000herbie

rose preservation in water globe

sweet2000herbie
19 years ago

Help me, please!!!

My sister has always admired a water globe you put fresh flowers in. Our grandmother had one when we were growing up. Recently I stumbled upon one from BOWL O BEAUTY CO., which was one of the original designs for this style. It has a screw on lid and a three footed stand. I am desperate for any information by Christmas.

I have attempted to find info. on the company, or the method of preservation and come up with little other than this particular company still existed until the 80's. I had contacted the librarian in the town these were made and she had a cousin that worked their for a summer.

I have contacted local florists to no avail. Nothing so far in library how to books.

I am hoping against hope that one of you remember this type of design and can come up with the solution. Thank you in advance! Candace

Comments (29)

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Candace-A while back I posted a method for preserving leaves(can also be used for flowers)using glycerine.You imerse the leaves in warm glycerine and leave them for 3 weeks and it preserves them so they can be used in arrangements and they are soft and supple.I wonder if you could use glycerine as the liquid in the globe and preserve the rose that way? Might be worth trying.I did a search and also came up with nothing!LOL
    Lillie

• Gemmanee
    18 years ago

I have also been looking for one of these globes because I can no longer have cut flowers displayed in my home due to allergies. I'm desperately hoping that one of these companies will ship over to UK for me as I've searched high and low for a supplier over here and drawn a blank.
    These are two companies I found when I did a search. You will need to cut and paste the addresses into your browser window as I can't do the link 'thingy'. I hope this helps.

http://crystalboutique.umbrellaweb.com/glvirtualsoft/howto.php

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=17332&omMerchandising=Product%20CrossSell

Gemmanee

• alice50
    18 years ago

I have a Bowl o Beauty - roses in a globe preserved in liquid
    My children bought it for me in the 80's at Service Merchandise - and may I say it wasnt cheap!
    After about a year some of liquid seemed to vanish from it so it didnt look so nice and I put it in a cupboard - well I just got it out and the liquid is pure black cant even see the roses inside so I guess I will be dumping it!
    the bottom says Bowl O Beauty Co. Melrose, Il 60160
    But if I were any of you I wouldnt bother trying to buy one unless its something you want to only last for a year.
    I wish I had a web address for them because if I did I would email and complain!

• bob_s_85335
    14 years ago

If you are still looking for this Globe I just purchased one from leevalley.com This looks exactly as I remember the one of old days. I'm very pleased with it.

• alice54
    13 years ago

My daughter has a Bowl o Beauty also...There is a number on the lid...The number on hers is "7632"...She payed $2.99 at a second hand store in Florida....She was told that it contained the same fluid that is used in bodies at Funeral Homes. I would try to spell it but it would be wrong...And that it also contained ashes of a person...How true this is ,,well I don't know...I'm still looking for more info on this subject also....alice54

• heronkate
    13 years ago

I have a Bowl O Beauty that I just out up for sale in my Etsy shop, in case anyone is still interested. Thanks for looking !
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/49401588/bowl-o-beauty-glass-globe-on-stand

• bussertm_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

My uncle, Clarence Bussert, invented Bowl O Beauty. As I have heard the story, he was a florist and sort of an amateur chemist; he started working for the Amlings flower people as a teenager or young man; he developed the preservative that kept the roses beautiful for years. Others copied the process, but with an inferior chemical which which was bad for the reputation of the product. Then people came out with products that had plastic flowers -- the whole thing went tacky and they finally disappeared at some point. My Uncle died in the 1960's. My cousin might have more detailed info.

• mauri965_frontier_com
    13 years ago

Mysister remembers that our mother's came with a packet of chemicals you mixed with water.

• sistersara55_localnet_com
    12 years ago

I have my grandmothers globe,but I don't remember what she used to keep water clean.I was wondering if a small drop of bleach would help?I don't remember her keeping it for years?Is this possible?

• jnjonesiez_aol_com
    12 years ago

Am looking to buy a bowl o beauty. Need help in locating one. Help, please. Also, can't you just use water to preserve flowers?

• Najla2
    12 years ago

My mom worked for Bowl O Beauty. She dipped the flowers in wax and put them in the bowls. So of course, we had one. They were supposed to be well sealed and something added to the water to preserve. Ours lasted for at least 10 and only a bubble appeared at the top, apparently due to a bit of evaporation. They were absolutely beautiful.

I found a similar container at a thrift store, Made in Germany called Blumen Aquarium - Magic Flower Bowl. It is made for you to add your own flower. I put some orchids in it this weekend and they are lasting for a few days any how. Makes a beautiful display, although now as pretty as the original.

• Shelley Lynn
    7 years ago

I just purchased a Bowl O Beauty Rose Globe from an estate sale. The water is blackish as is the flower. If I do not disturb the globe, the liquid becomes clear again. However, the rose is still blackish color. From what I have read on here it sounds as though it may be possible to remove the old rose and put a new one in if one was to find out the solution to use. If anyone knows additional information I would love to read about it. Please post if you do Thanks

• Paula Escobedo Carrillo
    6 years ago

I just bought one right now down the street from where I stay in l.a off Broadway

• Gavlick Taylor
    5 years ago

i live in dallas amd you can buy rose globes almost any where here. and like you i have had no luck looking on line at how to replace water or what kind of solution to buy. mine came from a 7 11 and i got it june 27th and about a week ago i noticed slime growing off the rose. i did not expect great quality from a gas station but thankfully the lid comes off and i can put fresh water or a new flower.

• HU-53171916
    5 years ago

I hav

• Barbara Isaacson
    4 years ago

did anyone ever find out what the chemical was in the bowl of beauty i have one from my grnadfathers funeral he passed in 1976 you cant see the rose anymore i want to keep it

• saraherm
    4 years ago

If you are still looking for this, search for "flower aquarium".

• HU-99544304
    4 years ago

I live in Mission TX and these globes are sold in Mexico and also here around the Rio Grande Valley. My husband bought me a globe in our doctors office that had a pink beautiful rose in it. This was last year 2018. I just now opened it and am going to replace one rose with 3. The suction bottom has three holes. The man that sold it said to put sugar in the water, but he didn’t say how much. I will let everyone know the out come, when I use sugar.❤️

• Susan Caulder
    3 years ago

My husband bought me a forever rose in a globe in February just 4mths ago and there is slim growing on the the bottom petals, does anyone know if I can empty it and refill with water or do I have to add something to the water?

• Amy May Snider
    3 years ago

I found one at an antique/thrift shop in Berlin, MD, a few weeks ago. $2.50! I put a hydrangea cutting in it and added water. Won't last forever, of course, but looks beautiful! In the 80s, my mom had one of these. She would put a rhododendron in it, add water, and we'd take it to my grandmother who was in a nursing home.

• HU-474464074
    3 years ago

My sister has one she got after our aunt passed away. She had it since at least the early 80's but probably even before that. The only maintenance we do is replacing the distilled water inside when it gets low. We fill a bucket with distilled water and open the globe underwater so it never touches the air. Then we clean the globe and reassemble everything upside down underwater. The rose is coated in wax and has a few tiny dark spots but it looks pretty good for over 30 years old. I don't know the proper procedure but this is how our dad told us to maintain the rose and it's working well so far.

• HU-644903653
    3 years ago

If your looking for this item and you are in the ohio area, a place called buehlers make these in thier floral deparment and sell them. Hope this helps.

• HU-653619745
    3 years ago

Did you ever find the solution I’m trying to find the same answer

• HU-653619745
    3 years ago

Has anyone found out the solution yet I still can found out . I wonder if alcohol would work

• HU-392895185
    3 years ago

I just got this as a gift last night!!!!

• Karen Morgan
    3 years ago

Use half water and half glycerin. Heat the water add the glycerin and wait for it to boil. Cool and then add to your rose or what ever flower you have. The company that used to make these has long since gone out of business but I had purchased one for my mom years ago. She would only let me change the water. And yes at times the water gets black

• HU-743303513
    2 years ago

DO NOT USE ANTIFREEZE!!! That and formaldehyde is exactly why the original began to get a bad and deadly reputation and got them largely taken off the market. Use safe, natural glycerin and distilled water in the proper portions. It’s irresponsible, disgusting and horrifying when cheapskates cut corners like this and even try selling them as home decor without chemical disclosure. Antifreeze doesn’t belong inside your home for good reason.

• HU-519781384
    last year

i just got a bowl-o-beauty never even heard of them before it in a square globe lid on bottom says Melrose park ... the fluid inside is a lil discolored and has yellow rose inside don't think its ever been opened i know it hasn't in the last 35 years was trying to find information about them ...

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?