Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_moss

Miniature Landscape Project - MOSS and hardy plants on rock slab

bonsai_moss
19 years ago

{{gwi:594883}}

In the picture above, I assembled lava rocks, some local quarry rocks, about 9 types of local hardy tight/compact mosses, miniature wildflowers, clovers, grasses, all put together on a large piece of patio slate. It stands about 2 feet high, and 3 feet long.....Everything was collected from the wild here in zone 5 (except for the two small japanese junipers and some of the lava rocks). Everything has established itself nicely to the rocks and the colors of the mosses & rocks are amazing. The orange lichens were already established to the rocks I collected at my local rock quarry.

I only collect my material from areas that are in the process of being developed and bulldozed by the housing boom that seems to never stop in the area. So, everything you see was saved from the wild.

The picture above doesn't do justice...... it looks amazing in person. I mist it 2x every day with either mineral or distilled water (not with tap water because of the chlorine in the water supply). I have some close-up pictures I will try to upload later. My favorites are the tiny clumps of the lush green compact moss. I wanted to add some miniature ferns, but I didn't want to over-crowd it..... I want to keep my miniature landscapes as natural looking as possible. In my next mini landscape I'll use some ferns.

I would love nothing more than to design these miniature landscapes for a living. The only problem is that I wouldn't dare mail something like this. My dream would be to open a small retail shop.

Thanks in advance for any comments, advise, suggestions, or questions.

- David in zone 5 b

Comments (6)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Looks a fabulous project, would love to see it up close!

• bonsai_moss
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Below are more up-close pictures of the miniature moss & bonsai landscape I've created on a slab of slate. So far I've created 7 of these beauties. I'm surprised and thrilled at how well all the mosses and other miniature grasses and flowers have secured themselves. The Japanese Junipers have also successfully secured their roots firmly.

Again, thank you in advance for any suggestions, advice, comments, remarks. Feel free to ask me any questions.

- David in zone 5 b
    {{gwi:594885}}

{{gwi:594886}}

{{gwi:594887}}

{{gwi:594888}}

{{gwi:594889}}

This last pic below is just a sample of the various mosses I have growing on all kinds of rocks. These will soon become additions to my miniature bonsai landscapes that I am creating. I take really good care and mist all my moss through-out the day when it's dry out. I can't spray-mist my moss with faucet tap water as the chlorine has wrecked my moss in the past. So I use only spring water, and distilled water.

{{gwi:594890}}

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Superb, nice work!

• Josh
    18 years ago

David, a high-end nursery might be thrilled to offer these on a consignment basis. You could print a laminated card with instructions for care, perhaps tied to neck of a spray bottle of distilled or spring water. Include on the card your name, contact info.
    I can envision a decorator using for tablescapes for fancy affair, so maybe a florist who catered to museum/art gallery/big corporate functions might be a possible contact. They spend hundreds for cut flowers...and are always after something new and different.

Price your creations for the unique beauties they are...but don't forget the snob factor. Sadly, people only really appreciate and value something for the money they spend, not necessarily its intrinsic beauty.

Good luck....josh

P.S. I know you would hate to think of it happening to one of your lovely landscapes, but there ARE people (with more money than good sense) who would buy something like this for their patio and after a few weeks let it perish, just as they do huge Palms and tropicals planted in spring which often need replacement before midsummer because of poor/no care. They treat potted plants like cut flowers...and don't seem to consider expense. So charge enough to give them at least a twinge in the pocketbook if not in their conscience! josh

• sweetamenity
    18 years ago

I found this old thread and wanted to ask for instructions on how to do this. Can you explain how it's done? It is totally incredible. Thanks, Sweetamenity

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals