Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orange mushroom cluster

Posted by walshja z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 11:54

HELP

Every year around this time a few mushroom clusters appear in my fron yard. Each cluster is about 2 feet wide, and has many mushroom caps. They are orange in color and are quite pretty.

They are coming up from the ground, I cannot determine if there is buried wood, are what they are actually growing on.

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of mushroom these are?

They last about 2-3 weeks before starting to turn to mush.

Image link: orange mushroom cluster (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orange mushroom cluster

Very cool and colourful!
Has an animal been buried there some time in the past?

o

Yes, it is actually quit pretty.

Well, these mushroooms appear every year at the same time, at the same location.

So there is something underneat that this is growing on, I am guessing an old tree stump, as the previous owners did clear some trees in my yard.

In all my research I 'think' it is a Jack-o-Lantern mushroom. Seems to fit all the descriptions. Being a Jack-o-Lantern makes it poisonous !!!

o

Hi Walshja,

I replied on the ferm, mushroom, etc forum (take a look at it for more information). I think it's Lyophyllum decastes.

Bellatrix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here