Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lien62

Moss pathway

lien62
19 years ago

2 years ago, this area, in front of our house, under the shade of a great old willow oak, was dirt. When it rained, it was mud. Now it's a natural green carpet leading to the side yard. I wanted to take a picture before the fall leaves covered it completely. At this stage, hardly any weeding is necessary. The thickness of the moss chokes out weeds and grasses.

{{gwi:595814}}
Moss is very durable; 3 kids and a big dog travel through here constantly. I can't get enough of the stuff and will never understand why some people try to kill it.

Comments (21)

• autumnmoon
    19 years ago

It's absolutely beatiful! Thank you for posting!

Paula

• allotrope
    19 years ago

Imagine, never having to mow it. What more could you ask for! Magnificent! I have several large patches but nothing on this scale but I'm working on it ;o)

• autumnmoon
    19 years ago

i'm always collecting mosses when I find them. There are alot that grow around the yard, some of them on hard dry dirt. Ive never attempted to grow it like you have, though that would be so cool! I *do* take it and put it in between my stepping stones (large flat rocks) that go through my garden, alot of them have taken. Not too long ago I bought some plants from a lady in maine and she sent them all wrapped in this really long shag carpet-like moss that i put down everywhere to grow, and it seems to be taking to where i put it. It's the neatest moss ever!

I really love your yard btw (now that I'm done blabbing!)

Paula

• didgeridoo
    19 years ago

Well done, Din! Photos like these will certainly change peoples minds about moss!

Ive noticed that moss tends to grow especially well beneath oak and beech trees. Perhaps it is the soil acidity of these trees, or maybe it is their deep shade and shallow roots which choke out the mosses competitors. These would be opportune places for people to begin their own small moss gardens.

-christian

• bungalow_mikee
    19 years ago

wow...(picking up my jaw from the floor)

really nice!

• greenlarry
    19 years ago

cool idea,but hows it look in winter?

• magichat
    19 years ago

dirtinnails,
    that looks great! this is exactly what we are looking into doing in our backyard. it's shady and damp and we
    are on a downward slope so we are looking for a way
    to keep the soil from eroding and going down hill to
    our neighbor's house (hoping this will also help our basement from being so damp). how did you start the moss? we looked at mossacres.com but it is pretty pricy. we do have some moss growing in patches here and there. any tips? thanks for the great picture!

mh

• lien62
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My apologies for not getting to the questions sooner...I haven't checked this forum in awhile...thank you for the compliments...it's the best reward in labors of love.

In the winter, it is evergreen. It does not get obscenely cold here and as long as it does not dry out (very rare in winter) it actually is greener than in summer.

Having moss growing already on the property is a plus MH. Moss grows best on compacted soil. Growing it on a slope may be a bit challanging. In the area pictured, I kept the ground free of debris, moist, and by simply walking on it kept the area compacted. Moss grows freely on my property due to shade and high humidity, so it was just a matter of time. For the first year, it's much easier said than done. You can transplant the moss from other areas. Use a flat tool to get up a patch with 1" of dirt without disturbing the barely there roots. Transfer it to a prepared spot, a 1" deep hole the same size of the patch. Pat down firmly the entire area and water. Good luck and enjoy.

• greenlarry
    19 years ago

it does look a very good alternative to grass!

• jolanaweb
    19 years ago

Dirtinnails, I've been lurking in this forum and your moss area is beautiful. You mentioned it chokes out weeds and grass... would it choke out nut sedge ? We have some moss growing on our property but not where the nut grass is. Before I start disturbing it, I'd like to try to find the answer to this question. Thanks for any help
    jolana

• hauwka
    19 years ago

This looks amazing! I have an area in my yard that is about 85% moss and 15% misc grass. I want to encourage it to full moss and was wondering what you might suggest to do to eliminate the grasses. Any thoughts?
    Thanks! You have totally inspired me to get working on my moss area!

• wildbillgt
    19 years ago

That is very nice, I have quite a few spots at my new house like that but I unfortunatly have to tear it all up because the previous owners laid down black plastic for a weed barrier which sheds water just great, so none of the deep rooted plants get water and they suffer greatly in the summer, I had tried to lift the moss in sheets but most of the bushes and trees layed roots on the surface of the plastic, UGH!! its going to be a real mess, but I am sure it will get back to its old self after I am done,lol (I left a link to my webshots page for my old garden) i miss it :(

Here is a link that might be useful: my ol backyard

• SnoPixie
    19 years ago

Dirt, that looks spectacular!!! I can just imagine strolling along with that soft, mossy coolness beneath my bare feet. I'd love to achieve that look around our hammock area beneath the pines. We've got 1-2 inch tall moss growing in other areas of the yard. Guess I've got another project to try this summer. :^)

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    19 years ago

How beautiful! I am so very envious! Thanks for sharing. Missy

• barbwatkins
    18 years ago

Have yall ever heard of using a blender and buttermilk? From what I understand is that you just drop the moss in the blender with the buttermild (enough to keep it runny then pour it out on compacted dirt and it will grow anywhere. I have heard about it but never actually tried it. Have any of you?

• barefootgardener
    18 years ago

Wow, how gorgeous, I wish my whole yard was like that where there are no flowers, it's just beautiful. My bare feet would be so happy!

• mjensen
    18 years ago

Simply beautiful.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Bump. This is too pretty to let get away.

• chelone
    17 years ago

It sure does my heart glad to know there are people out there who are willing GO with nature and take full advantage of all she offers.

BREATHTAKING!

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    17 years ago

Beautiful!

• bodiCA
    16 years ago

That is spectacular! How do you do that? Is it natural in your area or do you really have to work to keep it so perfect?

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus