Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maidenhair fern rescue

Posted by jnmrz (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 8:48

All of a sudden my maidenhair fern is dying. I think it needs repotting, but first I want to know what I can do for its immediate rescue. I've removed all of the dead fronds and thought of putting a plastic bag over it to up the humidity (lack of humidity is the biggest problem in my house). I have pebble trays but I don't really think they work. I've also put a gallon jug of water in the sun, poked some holes for evaporation. I haven't seen any pests on the fern. I really want to save this plant! Help please.

-Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maidenhair fern rescue

I believe it is going into a dormant state. I have maidenhair fern that is growing wild on my property (I live on a river) so there is the humidity, and my zone is 8b, and I notice that in the winter this beautiful fern gets alot of dead fronds on it and looks pretty beat up, but come spring, the baby new fronds start peeking out. Since yours is in a pot, I would say slipping the pot into a large plastic bag, leaving it open, will keep the moisture level up high enough, but not enough to rot the crown of the fern. Of course, this fern likes it semi-shady to shady, so I wouldn't be leaving it in a sunny window.
Good luck to you!
firefly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here