Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
february fern cleanup question

Posted by vmarcos68 8A (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 06 at 11:43

In my area it is suggested that ferns be cut back to ground level making more lush in summer. The list also included clematis and lavender.

My question is, should all ferns be cut back or only the ones with some worn out leaves near the bottom. Most of my ferns look good right now having cut them back last february. All of my ferns are wild , naturally occuring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: february fern cleanup question

Native ferns don't require any clean up or cut back to make them grow any differently. They will send up the same amount of fronds either way. The only difference is that without the old dead fronds, they might LOOK better and therefore lusher. However, the old dead fronds provide a means for the plant to trap and keep organic material close by for nourishment and a natural mulching effect (dead leaves get stuck in them as well as the decay of the fronds themselves).

Do you know, are these Christmas ferns?

o
Oh you're in Canada

Probably not Christmas ferns, but rather sword ferns.

o

Looks like sword ferns.
They are native ones commonly occuring here. There is also a perennial one that pops up with what I call fiddleheads in the spring and die back to the ground in winter.

Id like to cut back the ones growing under my porch some day since they stick out through the lattice with the stems inaccesible.

o
repotting ferns

• Posted by
    ella-bell
    (gw:ella-bell) on
    Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 13:09

My ferns have been under plastic all winter and 1/2 of the pot is green and the other half looks dead (from the cold).. Should I repot them and cut off the roots from the dead part or leave them on and hopefully they will come back out?.

o

what is the proper way to remove dead leaves? I was told to scrape them off by one person and to cut them by another...???

o

If you have a new question, start a new thread.

o

can you cut from the bottom of a tree fern to make it smaller ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here