Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushrooms in warm climates

Posted by kenns Brazil (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 14:01

Hello,

I live in Brazil and it is impossible to buy fresh mushrooms here, so I would like to try growing my own. I have done a bunch of reading, and it seems like you need temperatures of 55 Fahrenheit to grow them. The ambient temperature here is 85 degrees. We do keep one room air conditioned at 75 degrees. Would this be cool enough to be successful?

Any tips you can give me would be most appreciated! (Even a place to buy the spores in South America, would be great!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushrooms in warm climates

I have grown some, years ago until I got sick growing them, Shitake and Oyster.

Oyster being the easiest, all you need is a pasteurized media, various plant matters, here happen to be straw, you might have to experiment with what works for you if straw is not readily available. Straw was chopped short, put in a larger wire basket, made my own from wire mesh,..then put in a stainless tank with water and boiled, [outdoor]. Keep your hands sterile,..then put in plastic garbage bags [sterile], when cold, inoculate with spawn.
Whole straw bale works also, bale emerged with weight in water for a couple of weeks, wasn't pasteurized, it worked pretty good. [fresh straw]
Shitake was grown on hardwood sawdust or poplar logs.

In the beginning I bought spores, later I made my own with grains. I did join a course for a couple of day's near Vancouver, BC..this helped.

Not sure about temperatures, .high humidity is good, I started first in the shed, [summer], later I build something similar but larger with a automatic mister.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here